which brett in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nico93

Reaction score
Hi

I made a (not so) dark belgian strong ale

SRM: 21,1 SRM
IBU: 29,7 IBUs Tinseth
OG 1092
FG: 1,014 SG
BU:GU: 0,321
Est ABV: 10,4 %
EE%: 73,00 %
Batch: 5,55 gal

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs 5,3 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3,0 SRM) Grain 1 80,5 %
12,3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40,0 SRM) Grain 2 4,3 %
2,5 oz Chocolate Malt (350,0 SRM) Grain 3 0,9 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 19,01 qt of water at 166,2 F 152,6 F 90 min

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3,53 oz Styrian Goldings [3,00 %] - Boil 60,0 mi Hop 4 29,7 IBUs
5,00 Items chiodi di garofano (Boil 15,0 mins) Fining 5 -
1,50 g Ginger Root (Boil 12,0 mins) Herb 6 -
5,00 g Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5,0 mins) Spice 7 -
2,00 Items cardamomo (Boil 5,0 mins) Spice 8 -

a huge starter of Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787)

started at 1092 and finished around 1014

i have bottled half batch and i have the other 2,5 gal in the carboy.

So i want to add some brett! but i'm a little bit undecided to which strain to use, i can find those strains:

WLP645 Brettanomyces Claussenii
WLP 650 Brettanomyces Bruxellensis
WLP644 Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Trois
WLP653 Brettanomyces Lambicus

I was thinking to use wlp 645 but i want your opinions, what is the best brett strain for a dark belgian ale?
i don't want the brett overwhelmed all the beer character but i want it markable

thanks for your help

I've never used Brett C, but wanted to due to the pineapple descriptors. That said, I wouldn't use it in your beer. You didn't list it, but I would opt for Wyeast 5526 Brett Lambicus for the dark fruit/cherry character. If sticking with White Labs, then I'd go with Brett Brux which I find a reliable strain for secondary. Or if you can afford it: split the batch into some 1 gallon jugs with and test a few of them.

Just don't use Trois. It is Sacc and there are reports of it doing nothing in secondary. I too vote Wyeast Brett L or either WL or WY Brett B.

you both said to use wyeast brett lambicus so i'll change online store in order to use it!

now, using wlp I would use the entire vial but i read that in wyeast pack there are a lot more cells (fortunately, cost twice!), can i use half pack in the strong ale and use the other half to make a starter for a 100 brett belgian blonde?

Yes. But I would make the starter first and then pull a portion from it to put in secondary.

Now what you won't want to hear is that I hated the 100% brett beer I made with Wyeast's Brett L. But everyone's taste are different, so go for it. Or make a small batch first to experiment.

maybe i can make a 1 liter extract beer as starter, i try it in order to see if i like it and i put a part in the secondary of the strong belgian.

if i like it i make another starter and use it for the belgian blonde

thanks for your help!

I'll vote against C. I think the pineapple descriptor is overstated. I got it a bit when I did a 100% Brett fermentation, but it faded into more general esters. When used in secondary I get more of a vinous and smokey character. Not pleasant in my opinion. You can always just grab an Orval and use the dregs. Can't go wrong with that mix. It's mostly brux but I've heard there are a couple of strains in there.

i added the bottom of 2 bottle of orval two month ago but i haven't got any activities!

I often use Orval dregs. It does take a while but 2 bottles will do it.

Also if you look here. http://www.themadfermentationist.com/p/dreg-list.html

There is a bog list of beers that have viable brett in the bottles. But a few, drink them, and if you like the flavor dump the dregs in your beer. That is what I do for a lot of my saisons.

i'll take a little part off in order to see if orval brett are alive!

i bought a pack of wyeast lambicus, i'm going to make a starter and use it for the belgian strong and for a 100% brett belgian blonde:rockin::rockin:

thanks to all for your help and your opinions!

Bought, i made a 1liter starter, letting it ferment at 72° the next week i'm going put a part of the starter in the belgian strong and i'll use the rest for the 100% brett belgian blonde!

thanks, i hope so!

the brett starter is a little bit lazy, how long it tooks to show some activity?

Back