Which BJCP style should I enter my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeg13

Reaction score
Recently made a Vienna lager. It was intentionally hoppier than a Negra Modello. Going for more of a Brooklyn Lager. Beersmith says the IBUs were within the style guidelines. My pallet says that it's too hoppy for the style. I ended up with less beer than I should have so maybe the actual IBUs are more than the recipe called for. Any suggestions for entering into competition? Stick with Vienna Lager? Go for a Specialty Beer?

Under the comments in the BJCP style guideline it says that American versions can be a bit stronger, drier, and more bitter, so you may still be ok in that category, provided the bitterness doesn't completely blow away any balance with the malt.

There's a couple options that I'd consider if it was my beer.

Blend it with something less hoppy and clean. Possibly a premium American lager if or maybe even a cleaner kolsch or cream ale.

Lager it for awhile and see if the bitterness drops out.

Enter it as is in the Vienna lager category and see what the judges say.

Forget about entering it, make notes on it and just drink it.

Just entering in my monthly club competition for feedback. We have a block party next weekend so the keg won't have an opportunity to age for more than a week. 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just entering in my monthly club competition for feedback. We have a block party next weekend so the keg won't have an opportunity to age for more than a week. 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

In that case bottle up enough for the club comp plus another 2 bottles (in case it really does well) and enjoy the rest. :)

Yeah if it's a more informal thing strictly for feedback enter it in category and see what everyone else thinks.

Thanks for the suggestions. I entered it as a specially beer but mentioned hoppy and vienna lager in the description. The description turned out to be a mistake since the Vienna malt didn't come through. I spoke with the judge after. It really didn't fit any style. He seemed to feel it was a clean beer with no flaws other than the recipe. Since the flavor itself didn't really stand out as a great beer, it only merited a 25 & 27 on the scoresheet. A little disappointed, but at least there were no process problems to correct.

Latest posts

Back