Where to replace CO2 Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prjectmayhem

Reaction score
I live in the SF Bay Area and was wondering if any other home brewers knew where to take their CO2 tanks to get filled? I have seen some homebrew stores that will exchange empty for filled tanks but it seems odd to spend so much money on a new tank only to trade it in for a old one...any suggestions?

I always bring mine to a welding supply store and even they replace the tank. I've heard you could try a paintball shop.

Around here, the home brew shops refill tanks( as long as the hydro test is current) and the welding shops exchange empty for full. My thought process is , as long as it has a good hydro and its full, one tank is as good as another.
You could ask the merchant if they have any good lookin tanks for exchange ;)

Not sure where in the Bay are you are exactly, but I work in Mountain View, and for the 4 taps I have at work I use Carbonic Services. As long as you don't come during lunch they will refill while you wait. For my home CO2 exchanges I've found my local hydroponic shop to be the best deal around. They do 20# CO2 tank exchanges for $13.95. My LHBS charges $25 to exchange a 5# cylinder.

Try a fire extinguisher supply store. Some even can test tanks.

I'm not in the Bay area but my local Fire and Safety (all sorts of systems, including fire extinguishers) refills both CO2 tanks and paintball canisters. It's where I had mine filled. No trading of tanks, they just filled them as long as they were still in certification. They were brand new, so I guess they were. :)

That's where I would try first.

Back