Where to put the SCT-1000?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnold931

Reaction score
I purchased a used fridge to use as a fermentation chamber. I have wired and programmed an SCT-1000 (thanks to you guys!) to control temperature. I will use a light bulb in a paint can for a heat source. My question is - where does everyone place their SCT-1000? Outside the fridge and fish the sensor and power cord for the light bulb into the fridge or inside the fridge and fish the power cord for the SCT-1000 out to the outlet? Also do you drill a hole through the fridge wall (I'm nervous about this) or run through the door seal somehow? Thanks for your help!!

People place the STC1000 in both places. Some inside, some outside.

If you place it outside, all you need to do is plug both the fridge and the heat source into the respective plugs in the STC1000. This method is usually easiest and quickest to accomplish since no special wiring is needed inside. just be sure to turn the fridges thermostat to "max" (or whatever the equivalent is in your fridge). On "max" the compressor will always be running - assuming the STC1000 is providing power to the "cold" plug.

Other people prefer to bypass the fridges thermometer altogether. This method usually requires the STC1000 to be installed inside the fridge, and wiring done to power the compressor, etc. directly from/into the STC1000.

As for how to run the wires - you can use the drain if you want. Some piggyback on the wiring that's already in the fridge. Others (like me) drilled a hole in the compressor hump. Search the Internet. there are MANY threads about modifying a refrigerator for a Ferm. Chamber and/or a kegerator.

Bill

I just keep mine out and shut the door, the magnetic seal still works and closes around the two wires.

Back