Where to get cooling coils by themselves, without a fridge around them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterbk

Reaction score
I'm planning to build a temp controlled fermentation chamber after my keezer is done. One part I can't figure out how to source (or build) is the cooling. I don't want to hack a large fridge because it would be too large and space-inefficient and wouldn't fit in the brew closet.

Is there a way to buy cooling coils by themselves and assemble a compression cooling system to your own specs? I think that would be best, but I have no idea where to source the parts.

Some other things I'm considering if that doesn't work out:

* Peltier (thermoelectric) cooling plates? (I've read these are very inefficient and produce a lot of waste heat.)
* Very small air conditioning units?
* Remove the cooling from a very small fridge, entirely?
* Maybe some of those tiny micro-fridges like This One, one for each chamber?
* Venting multiple chambers, selectively, through one cold fridge full of water bottles?

Last edited by a moderator:
get a cooling unit for a drink machine. They are modular and designed to be swapped out by a route driver.

Have you tried the dump or a scrap yard? You might be able to source some coolant lines if you go out to one that will allow you to hack out the coolant lines yourself.

Peltier doesnt work, dont waste your time. People have tried, but it can only operate a certain delta from the ambient temperature. You might be able to get down to low 60's if you can keep it around 70 ambient air, but its so inefficient and finicky its not really worth it from what i can tell.

The existence of this thing seems promising, but I think it's no longer made:

That was my first thought: pull the cover off a dehumidifier. My father-in-law had two or three stuffed under his workbench (spare parts for one that still worked), kinda wish I had kept them when we cleaned their house out.

Cooling systems are sealed and it requires specialized tools and knowledge to build one. You'll be much happier salvaging an intact one. Many people here have dissected mini fridges, you just have to be careful not to puncture the lines. Get a small fan to blow on the coil for much better efficiency. Dehumidifier option sounds promising too.

Check Craigslist for people selling fridges. Take the coils, take the rest to the dump (or sell the metal for scrap).

Back