Where to find used motors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
So here i am in Yuma AZ for a week, and am going to go out scavenging today for some used parts to try and motorize my mill, but i have no clue where to start. What type of places would have used 1/2 hp motors and pulleys for sale? I was thinking maybe a flea market kind of place, but idk. So i thought id ask here to see if anyone may have found one already somewhere and where was it?

yup, found some...but they are massive lol, is there somesort of smaller alternative to these giant 1/2hp general purpose motors that can turn a malt mill under load?

Don't pass on an old right angle drill if you see one. Perfect speed right out of the box and should come with a Chuck to attach the mill. Project is half done...;)

Not sure if gearing is right, but a few odd motors that might work:

Car seat motor- would think it has high torque, not sure about running long periods
Home recliner motor- same as above
Car wiper motor- small and cheap, just not sure if strong enough
Treadmill motor- designed for variable speed- this might be best test motor
Old kitchen aid stand mixer- maybe good choice.

My mill is powered by a garage door opener motor. Gearing is included. The drawback is the motor gets hot after milling 7 lbs. I have a fan on it but still requires about 10 minutes to cool before re-filling the hopper.

But it was free and I mounted it to some plywood I had laying around. So I was only out of pocket for the lovejoy couplers.

I use a power steering assist gearbox and motor out of a Saturn steering coulmn, only drawback is that it's 12 volts and more amps than a 2 or 3 amp wall transformer will provided so I have to use a car battery.

This setup was also free to me so I just made it work. And now I'm realizing that this info was no help to you.

Back