Where to dispose of pulp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The forager

Reaction score
After making country wines, where do you dump the pulp? Don’t want to put it in the compost as not sure how the yeast would effect the rest of the compost.

Also, some of my pulps contained cooked veg (eg parsnip) so not suitable for the compost.

What do others do?

I dump mine out by the back treeline and let the animals take care of it. What they don't eat decomposes and the trees along the back 40 are REALLY green. Not an option if you're in town, though.

I dump mine out by the back treeline and let the animals take care of it. What they don't eat decomposes and the trees along the back 40 are REALLY green. Not an option if you're in town, though.
Ok thanks. Wasn’t sure if it would attract rodents with the sugar in it. I live in the countryside so will try this next time. Thanks.

Compost. Worst you might get are rodents or maybe ants, but composts should be rodent resistant anyway.

Yeast are decomposers. They help your compost organisms do their composting thing. I’m pretty certain it adds nitrogen (it may be beer that adds nitrogen so don’t hold me to that) but either way, you are just adding more organisms to break your compost down more efficiently, assuming it’s still active when you put it in.

Ok thanks. Wasn’t sure if it would attract rodents with the sugar in it. I live in the countryside so will try this next time. Thanks.
Compost will attract rodents anyways. Bread, fruit, vegetables, those are all forms of sugar.

Compost. But sometimes if the ferment is healthy and there are no off flavors, I use the pulp to make smoothies. For example, peach wine pulp, add a little cream and sugar, and enjoy!

Of course it will taste yeasty, but if there are no off flavors it can be quite good. Yeast are high in vitamin B, so it is nutritious as well. I have also heard of people using fruit pulp in baking. Why waste something that is tasty and nutritious.

We also have given some to our chickens. But if you give the too much they will get drunk!

I add to my compost. Nothing in it I am worried about, especially at the amounts a batch of wine produces. Especiallywhen you take into accountthe volume from coffee grounds, veggie scraps, yard waste ect. Wine waste is only a fraction of a percent of the total volumein the bin. Plus, I rotate compost bins so it will be anywhere from 1 to 2 years before it is used.

Honestly, if I was worried about adding it to my compost, I would not be drinking anything it had produced.

Latest posts

Back