Where or what to build next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirthfuldragon

Reaction score
So the last two weeks have been very fruitful on Craiglist scavenging. I previously did not have any kegging gear, and I now have:

-Four ball lock kegs
-Two 5# CO2 tanks (one empty, one half full)
-One 20# CO2 tank (empty)
-One generic tap tower with no-brand tap
-One Draught Technologies single body single gauge regulator
-Lines and fittings

I also have two mini-fridges: the slightly larger one is in the basement with STC-1000 temperature controller, and the slightly smaller one is in the garage full of bottles. The slightly smaller is big enough for one keg and a 5# tank, and maybe two kegs but I have not tried it yet.

I previously only bottled, and have a blonde and a pale ale coming up, plus a pliny the elder clone.

I really, really like having bottles in the garage - and it makes SWMBO happy since the house fridge is not full of beer all the time. If I convert it to a kegerator, I have to find something else to do with bottles.

I was thinking about selling off the 20# tank and maybe two of the kegs - they were part of package deals - because I don't think I will have a true use for them.

Also: I have spent all my budgeted beer money, so buying anything significant is out of the question right now - I actually had to postpone my planned Belgian quad until next month.

I would love to build a keezer, but that would have to go in the basement, and the basement is only partially finished, so long story short is that the "man cave bar" is years away. We are also finally building our patio this year, so the big "patio party" will be near the end of August, and I would like to have something on draft for that.

Getting a side-by-side fridge for the garage probably makes the most sense, but living in Chicago I won't want to go to the garage for a draft in the winter. Converting a minifridge makes some more sense since it is kinda portable - house, garage, basement, etc., for parties/seasons. I also am thinking about just bottling everything and dealing with the kegs later.

I keep going around in circles with this stuff. What should I do next?

If you put the CO2 tank on the outside of the minifridge, would it still have enough room for one keg and some bottles?

I did some checking and it looks like two kegs and one 5# CO2 will fit. I think I am going to try to find another mini-fridge on Craigslist, so I wind up with three - one kegerator, one for bottles, and one for fermentation. Keep it simple for now.

I wouldn't worry about a fridge for bottles, after you start kegging you prob won't be doing much bottling.

I also second putting the bottle outside the fridge, I have mine out of the fridge also.

Back