Where Is Your Place?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the past year my brewing experience has flourished to new heights. I went from a 2-year brewing hiatus to completely rebuilding my brewing system and process within a few months. I went from a minimally active brew club member to an Officer of Education in a new club. And I went from someone who really enjoys the hobby to someone who literally cant go a single day without having my hands involved in the hobby in some manner or another. So what changed over this short period? What stirred up such an obsession in me that made me want to be this involved? Simple, I found my place!
img-5084-2294.jpg

Custom Designed Electric Brewing System
Since I started brewing in December of 2009, I have enjoyed and immersed myself in this hobby. You either fall in love with the process and immerse yourself in the history, or you realize you enjoy good beer but dont enjoy the process of making it. I seemed to fall in the middle though. I really enjoyed the process and the history, but it didnt consume my life.
In late 2012 my wife and I bought a house. We moved in and began to unpack but didnt get far. Out of nowhere I received a job offer 600 miles south that was too good to pass up. We packed up the house and for a year tried to sell the house we just bought. The whole time my brew equipment stayed packed away. I wanted to stay involved with home brewing, but found it near impossible. My homebrew club was 45 minutes away, which made it difficult to attend meetings. Most of the activities took place in the same area, which made it difficult and frustrating to not be able to be involved. I really enjoyed the club which had a great group of guys in which I had learned quite a bit from. It just wasnt a good fit anymore.
dan-t-presenting-at-meeting-2292.jpg

Presentations At The HomeBrew Club Meetings
We finally sold the house May of 2014 and got settled in to our new place in June of 2014. At that point I found a new club to join that was 10 minutes from my house. I quickly became involved and was a regular at the monthly meetings and club events. At this point we learned our President and founder was resigning, and also that our BJCP certified judge was moving away so we would need a new Officer of Education as well. After a few months of getting to know the guys in the club, I was asked to step in to the position for Officer of Education. Taking on this role was huge for me since I really enjoyed this aspect of home brewing. Teaching and training is something I have always enjoyed, and this opportunity opened up a new door that I never knew existed.
My main concern was public speaking. This was definitely not a strong point for me. I never presented anything before and would now be responsible for a presentation each meeting. Luckily, it wasnt just me in this position. Another member was interested in this and we decided to tackle it together. Not all the pressure was on me anymore, which was fantastic! Over the next few months I was able to present on a few different topics which appeared to go well. I was given great feedback on my presentations which helped boost my confidence.
brew-club-brewery-tour-2293.jpg

Homebrewers Share A Passion For Beer And Brewing
Locally, a new brewery opened up who graciously allows our club to meet there during non-business hours. This brewery has been a shot in the arm for our club and me. They have held competitions for us and allowed the winners to brew on their system and serve their beer on tap. How awesome is that?
The local homebrew store changed ownership and has gone from being marginal at best to one of the best in the area. I speak with them constantly and offer advice when asked. As a consumer with a background in retail I am able to offer a perspective some cant. The new owners have worked with my club in order to promote us and we them. It has been a great relationship!
So, where is your place? If you enjoy home brewing but feel like something is missing, then take a step back and evaluate your situation. Are you in the right place? It could be as simple as finding an online brewing community like HBT or The Beer Borg, or as difficult as establishing a new brew club. What are your strengths? Is your background chemistry or mechanical? Is your palate more refined? Can you pick out more subtle flaws in a beer? (I personally find that difficult and rely on feedback from others, which is extremely important to some!) Find your niche with this hobby, make the effort, and you will find your passion soar higher than you could ever think it would.
img-5084-2294.jpg

Looks like it worked out real well for you. I haven't found one within an hour of me though...

Great story Dan and some great food for thought and I agree the brewing hobby is better once you find your "place".
BTW where did you get that shirt? ;)

Thank you for the great article about your progression in the hobby and finding your place.
I myself have regressed in my home brewing. Because of a divorce and now apartment living, I have had to scale back to 3 gallon AG batches. I only brew about 4 times a year and I m not a member of any clubs. I'm hoping all of that changes once I get established in my new career and live in a place that will accommodate my 5 gallon AG system. In the mean time, I'll enjoy brewing what I can and I always enjoy good beer.

Great story. Any chance you have the plans for the custom electric system you're standing behind?
Thanks!!

Good article Dan, thanks. I think you make a good point: not just finding a place, looking for it. My local club (Long Island Fermentation Experiment) had always met at our LHBS, Brewtopia. Until they closed. We were forced to search for locations. But it wasn't very hard. In only a few months we've met at a Yacht Club, a growler shop, microbrewery, and tomorrow at a Beer and Cheese bar. We've had offers from other bars too. So, reach out, people are interested in brewing. Businesses like the exposure. Spread the word, my Brew Brothers! :)

Great inspiring article! I would also be interested in more details on your new system. Of particular interest is your brew stand. I've been looking to build something like that for several months now and have been struggling with materials (i.e. what to use for the stand). Looks like it's bolted together vs. welded which is what I'm looking for as welding is a limiting factor for me.
I'd love to hear more about it.

Finding a home was important to me too. We have a good home brew club that meets at our LHBS, and last year I won best of category with my Brown Porter at a LBHS sponsored event. We currently have over 50 people on our club email list, and more people are coming to our monthly meetings.

I envy you guys for your clubs, local shops and communities...
All I get is a mailorder store, a few forums like this one and some locals who are interested enough in tasting, but not interested enough in making it.

This is d rabbit. Thanks everyone for the comments. The stand itself was ordered through strutstands.com. I didnt have the tools to cut the materials or the patience to piece it together. Steve was very helpful and does custom sizes as well. The only electric part of my system is actually the pumps which I added the switches so I could control. You can find my build here:
http://www.beerborg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4441
For those struggling without a club, all I can say is to get some feelers out there at local pubs or brew stores. There are many others like you, living close to you, who feel the same way and are having the same issues you are. It doesn't have to be fancy. Most likely it will start with 2-4 members but it will grow fast when you get something established and start attending events.

Latest posts

Back