where does one go from here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donner

Reaction score
So, i'm sitting here trying to figure out how to unstick my RIS (stuck at 1.033 after starting at 1.096 two weeks ago) and my mind began to wander and i've realized i'm not sure how to improve my brewing.

Now, i've done a couple dozen batches and have tried various things to improve my results, such as FWH, late addition hopping, focusing on my mash temps or fermentation temps (still a tough one), sanitation etc. But really, after so many batches i kinda feel like i don't know what to focus on next. I know i will continue to work on the above mentioned items, but i really just feel like i need something to obsess about each brew session or i'm just going through the paces.

Does this happen to anyone else? You ever just feel like you are in a rut and can't figure out what to tackle next other than just brewing another batch?

You know, I've been going through something similar lately. I've been experimenting alot and nothing is coming out exactly like I want it to. I decided to go back to basics and just brewed a simple American and a Belgian pale ale. I brewed them very straight forward to style guidelines and will be submitting them to a comp this month. I'm hoping it will restore my faith in my capabilities. I know I berw good beer, but sometimes we all get down.

So, my advice is go back to basics.

A stuck ferment?
I've not had it happen. Mostly because my yeasts are just better than every one else's. Ya know plush penthouse apartments and palatial estates and all.

I have read that some times you can have a variety of malt based sugars that the yeasts just fail at breaking down. In which case you might try pitching another type of more attenuative yeast.

So, i'm sitting here trying to figure out how to unstick my RIS (stuck at 1.033 after starting at 1.096 two weeks ago)

I know this isn't your question, but FWIW, I had an RIS stuck at 1.032 that wouldn't come down with any recommended method. I chalked it up to too many unfermentables and went ahead and bottled after 5 weeks. It's pretty tasty now, so maybe yours is a similar situation.

As far as your stuck RIS goes... That's a pretty big beer so it might just need more time. If it really is stuck and you can't get it started again, you can always brew a smaller beer and then rack your RIS onto the yeast cake to jump start it again.

As far as the brewing rut... have you tried entering competitions? It's a good way to get feedback on your brews and ideas of what you might work on in the future.

Im the same away about trying to Improve my practices every time I brew...my last obsession was trying to make sure every last bit of grist was out of the wort before boil...I do Partial mash and use a grain bag in a stock pot to mash in and theres always a little grist that gets through the bag ...so before the boil i went ahead and filtered the wort through another grain bag and cheeze cloth to pull out as much as I could....we'll see if theres any difference in this beer compared to others where I didnt filter.

I know how you feel, if theres not something new to work on the process, it seems like just going through the motions of brewing

Maybe they were included in your "etc," but you didn't explicitly mention either water chemistry or yeast. Those are two huge areas that combined can be studied for years. If you decide to start building a yeast library, I think you'll be kept busy for a while.

Try this BYO article. Might give ya some ideas.
http://***********/stories/article/indices/19-brewing-tips/11-10-things-homebrewers-need-to-try

As far as your stuck RIS goes... That's a pretty big beer so it might just need more time. If it really is stuck and you can't get it started again, you can always brew a smaller beer and then rack your RIS onto the yeast cake to jump start it again.

As far as the brewing rut... have you tried entering competitions? It's a good way to get feedback on your brews and ideas of what you might work on in the future.

This was the first time i had checked it, so i really don't know if it's stuck per se. I generally give my beers a month before i even mess with them, but i am nervous about getting a stuck ferment and went ahead and checked. It could still be working, i'll check again in a week or two. If i really get nervous i might try another yeast cake, but i'm not too worried just yet.

Haven't tried the competition route just yet. I keep planning out which competitions to enter, but i usually think about it before it opens and forget until its closed. I do think it would help.

I think i mostly need to work on my fermentation control, but i'm not sure the best way to move forward (as far as equipment and such).

Maybe they were included in your "etc," but you didn't explicitly mention either water chemistry or yeast. Those are two huge areas that combined can be studied for years. If you decide to start building a yeast library, I think you'll be kept busy for a while.

Yeah, sorry. I have a water report and have been working on adjusting my water. It's near distilled right out of the tap, so it takes a lot of salts to build up. Haven't done the yeast bank yet, but it's worth looking into.

i'm not too worried just yet.

You have rule #1 down pat then. :D

Haven't tried the competition route just yet. I keep planning out which competitions to enter, but i usually think about it before it opens and forget until its closed. I do think it would help.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/competitions/national-homebrew-competition

I think i mostly need to work on my fermentation control, but i'm not sure the best way to move forward (as far as equipment and such).

+1 on that. Temperature control is definitely one of the best improvements you can make. If you can get to a good temp and keep it stable, your beer will improve.

I think this is probably one of the most important aspects of brewing that most people neglect or just decide that it's too expensive to control.

You're in Oxford... I'm in Atlanta... suck it up and buy a cheap fridge or freezer with temp controller. You'll thank me later. In the winter, i use a heat blanket on the outside of cardboard boxes, housing the carboys - it provides gentle warming.

I think this is probably one of the most important aspects of brewing that most people neglect or just decide that it's too expensive to control.

You're in Oxford... I'm in Atlanta... suck it up and buy a cheap fridge or freezer with temp controller. You'll thank me later. In the winter, i use a heat blanket on the outside of cardboard boxes, housing the carboys - it provides gentle warming.

haha, it's not the money for a cheap fridge, it's finding a place to keep it while still being allowed to live in my house. My wife is very patient, but i've claimed one fridge for my kegs already. What i need to do is find or build chamber small enough to keep in my utility room near the water heater. I"d probably have enough space in there if i could clean it out a bit. Plus it'd be out of sight and out of mind for the mrs.

If you don't already have one, I would get a stir plate and flask and make nice healthy starters. I have been doing this with harvested "washed" yeast and I think it has made a great improvement in my brewing. It is also one of my favorites part now - harvesting, washing, managing, and growing the starters. It gives you the flexibility to try certain yeasts with styles you normally wouldn't, because you have it on hand and don't have to spend $7 on a smack pack.

You have rule #1 down pat then. :D

I normally don't worry about my beer too much, but i think i'm more concerned about this beer since A) it was a goal to brew for a while and B) it was a new experience brewing something that big. In generally, though, i know there isn't much i can do about it now, so why worry.

Are you into building things? I found in the past 6 months working on building a rig has helped me enjoy brewing even more. Not only is the rig making my brew day easier (less lifting, less trips to the basement for equipment, etc) but the new equipment has almost made me re-teach myself the process.

Kinda like when people get bored with their wives after 20 years of marriage they need something to get the fire going again. Maybe they try role playing or doing it in a different place or position...it's the same thing but you're adding a twist...

EDIT: How about creating your own recipes? I like to buy things in bulk now (which saves money) and if I cant figure out what to brew I spend some time looking at what grains I have and come up with a recipe. My next step is to get a yeast bank going so I always have the yeast I want on hand.

Have you seen the son of fermentation temp control chamber? That seems like a good space efficient way to control temperatures.

haha, it's not the money for a cheap fridge, it's finding a place to keep it while still being allowed to live in my house.

I can relate, although my SWMBO is probably about ready to snap. I'm about to give up my 4-keg keezer to use for baby food and bulk buys, but... I'm also about to pick up a monster 18 CF from my grandmother. It's going to have to live in the basement... sigh.

Are you into building things? I found in the past 6 months working on building a rig has helped me enjoy brewing even more. Not only is the rig making my brew day easier (less lifting, less trips to the basement for equipment, etc) but the new equipment has almost made me re-teach myself the process.

I can second this one. I just got finished building a three-tier gravity system and I'm already to move on to a single-tier system. Everything about this hobby is addictive. :rockin:

Back