Where does craft soda go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wanted to have a little chat with everyone who was interested!

For a long time now i have been wildly interested in craft soda. It was actually what led me to create at craft soda company in Chicago.
I feel like craft soda will struggle to ever even get half as impactful and popular as craft beer...but I feel like it has so much room to grow.

When do you think craft soda can go? Can craft soda be appreciated as a greater drink in its own regard; much like a beer like Anti Hero by Revolution is appreciated more than a beer such as Bud?

I think there can be an interesting soda "scene," especially as people get into Kombucha and other non-alcoholic (or low-alcohol) craft beverages, and start to recognize how cool that can be. There are a few companies here in Maine doing exciting things focused on natural and local ingredients, especially Maine Root and Green Bee. The museum where I work has an annual beer tasting, and the last couple years we've had Green Bee come and do soda tastings, too.

There's also a great bar in Portland called Vena's Fizz House that started out doing sodas and mocktails and fizzes only. They've since gotten their liquor license, but they still specialize in non-alcoholic options featuring cool sodas, craft bitters, and herbal additions.

That is very interesting! I have had Maine Root quite a few times and have found their stuff to be delicious. Green Bee is new to me, but i think that speaks to the hyper local-ness of craft soda as of right now. As of right now I know of many small craft soda companies around the USA such as Buckshot in Boise, Gents in Lexington, Brood in NC, and Cannonborough in Charleston SC, but only that last one has begun moving out of their state to my knowledge, and even then they have spoken about the difficulties of expanding in those out of state markets.

Do you know how Green Bee has done at these craft beer festivals? Do people tend to accept it with open arms?

Thank you so much for your input! I love hearing different views on this topic.

At our festival, people tend to enjoy it. It's not an either/or thing; they'll have few rounds of beer and then grab some soda to chill out. Other people aren't that into beer and will just go straight to the soda line. In recent years we've been putting Green Bee next to Honeymaker Mead. The two of them have had fun working out some good mead/soda cocktails. Honeymaker makes a nice Lavender Mead that goes well with the Green Bee Blueberry soda, or they'll do a Strawberry Mead with Green Bee's ginger soda. It's cool to see them collaborate!

That is awesome!!
It is exciting to know that a company like that has an audience, and that other businesses are happily working along side them.

I strongly believe that a lot if what needs to be done is a progression in each "market." It is obvious the area where Green Bee is has begun to understand craft soda as a bit more, and people are appreciating it as such! I do feel like craft soda has a long way to go...but I do think it has the possibility to grow!

Our local brewpub always has a couple craft sodas on tap. I've also taken my ginger soda to our homebrew club meetings and everyone (who likes ginger) seemed to really appreciate it. On their advice, I made a Mule with it and they were right - it is dangerous!

Ginger beer and ginger sodas tend to be the gateway craft soda for many people I feel. My craft soda business makes a ginger beer and it is by far our best seller! It is funny, but they are oddly approachable!

We have a pretty awesome craft soda place in Cleveland (http://oldcitysoda.com/).

TONS of local bars and restaurants serve it, use it in beer cocktails/regular cocktails, and they even collab with a local brewery to make an orange blossom gose which is pretty tasty. It seems to be very accepting, around here at least. It's truly awesome to see.

There are a lot of vintage and craft sodas out there. But when was the last time there was a new big name soda introduced? Maybe Sierra Mist? It seems like a pretty stable market.

I think the craft sodas tend to be more regional.

There are a lot of vintage and craft sodas out there. But when was the last time there was a new big name soda introduced? Maybe Sierra Mist? It seems like a pretty stable market.

I think the craft sodas tend to be more regional.
The big producers have been happy to leave their soda brands where they are. They've been putting all their efforts into energy drinks and health waters.

Wanted to have a little chat with everyone who was interested!

For a long time now i have been wildly interested in craft soda. It was actually what led me to create at craft soda company in Chicago.
I feel like craft soda will struggle to ever even get half as impactful and popular as craft beer...but I feel like it has so much room to grow.

When do you think craft soda can go? Can craft soda be appreciated as a greater drink in its own regard; much like a beer like Anti Hero by Revolution is appreciated more than a beer such as Bud?

Recipes? How about a good ginger ale recipe. Or a rootbeer recipe with accessible ingredients.

We have a pretty awesome craft soda place in Cleveland (http://oldcitysoda.com/).

TONS of local bars and restaurants serve it, use it in beer cocktails/regular cocktails, and they even collab with a local brewery to make an orange blossom gose which is pretty tasty. It seems to be very accepting, around here at least. It's truly awesome to see.

I have been a big fan of Old City's work for awhile now actually!! They are doing some pretty awesome stuff out there really. Their taproom/pub-like space they opened up looks quite nice!

The direction they have gone has definitely been a cool one to see! They not only are making kick ass soda, but branching into collabs of the beer world.

I am really interested in the craft soda scene. It is what i am currently trying to get into with my sodas. I have a few questions if that is ok?

1. Is the norm for carbonation, using kegs or force carbonating into bottles?
2. Do you have to follow the same guidelines as a craft brewery? Ignoring the alcohol aspect of course.
3. I have had mostly negative reactions from the home brew stores around me when they find out i am making beer not soda. Did you run into these issues and if so, what did you do to 'convert' them? No i havent brought in samples for them to try yet. I will do that.

Thanks

Back