Where do I buy the brew parts, cheapest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are several mail order companies that sell prepared kits. The ones offered by Northern Brewer are pretty typical; probably the best price/performance case for someone starting out is their 'essentials' kit. You would still need a few items in addition to that, however. NB's kits are just one example; I am linking to them not because they are the best, but because they are pretty much typical of what most places will have, and because I'm a bit lazy right now. :) If you do a search on 'beer kits', you should find several suppliers to choose from.

At absolute rock bottom, the equipment you need are: a brew kettle large enough to boil at least a significant part of the batch (at least 16L, preferably 21L or more), a carboy with a drilled bung or a food-grade bucket with a drilled lid, an airlock, a racking cane or an autosiphon, additional plastic tubing, a brush for cleaning your fermenter, a bottle capper, and at least enough crown-cap bottles to hold one entire batch.

Oh, and a good book on brewing is helpful, too.

In addition, for each batch you'll want a recipe to follow, the ingredients for the recipe, new bottle caps, priming sugar for bottle carbonation, and enough cleanser and sanitizer (two different things) to clean and sanitize your fermenter, equipment, and bottles.

For a more complete list of things you would eventually want, see this thread, though I would also read the comments made by the various people disputing some of my 'necessities'. At the time, I was trying to give a complete list of equipment a new brewer might want, but even this isn't everything. One of the things about this hobby is that you can be as expensive or inexpensive as you'd like.

Back