Where did the hops go? Weird.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
a neipa I brewed two weeks ago. Kegged yesterday. 2 row, white wheat, Munich, oats and carapils. OG 1.086. Fg due to me under pitching hornidal kviek 1.020 and that’s after multiple additions to try to get the gravity down. Stalled at 1.030 initially. So I hop standee with mix of el dorado, simcoe, citra, did dh of 4oz Nelson/el dorado then another a week later same thing. Cold crashed 48 hrs and kegged. So I knew this beer would be a little sweet from the fg and it’s not bad, lips are a touch sticky but it’s not un drinkeable. Whats weird is that there’s like zero juicy hop presence even with the ddh. Its like tasting an old beer from the fridge, more malt and the hops have fallen off. Was it the additions of extra kviek which were teaspoons, that drove off the aroma while it attempted to bring the fg down? I have no idea. I’m gonna add another 3oz dryhop in a bag to the keg and hope that helps, I’ll tie it with floss and hang it so it doesn’t clog the dip tube.

Last edited:
That's a lot of ElDorado. It may well be the "stale" flavor you are tasting (and what is masking the others).

I used ElDorado.......once.

That's a lot of ElDorado. It may well be the "stale" flavor you are tasting (and what is masking the others).

I used ElDorado.......once.
I love el dorado. So this had 6oz of el dorado total. However these are hops I’ve had since March when the shutdown happened. After I cut the vacuum sealed bag I close and winch with a rubber band and put it back in the freezer. Maybe the hops all of them were the final bits of 1lb bags I bought in March/April that were just old. They smelled fine but they could’ve been stale.

I like brewing a variety of styles, and like a wide variety of hops, from the really fruity ones to the really earthy ones.

There's only one I've tried that I wouldn't use again: El Dorado.

I use El Dorado in a Juicy Bits clone. It has been popular enough I just brewed the 6th 10 gallon batch this week.

As for the disappearing hops, how obsessive was the post-fermentation oxygen avoidance through kegging?

Cheers!

Last edited:
I use El Dorado in a Juicy Bits clone. It has been popular enough I just brewed the 6th 10 gallon batch this week.

As for the disappearing hops, how obsessive was the post-fermentation oxygen avoidance through kegging?

Cheers!
When I add hops I use my co2 tank from my keezer and blow co2 into the fermenter before and after I add the dry hops. And before if keg I use a closed transfer system pushing star San out through the keg into another keg. Then I take off my blowoff into a Mylar ballon and put my carboy cap with the gas in post into my fermenter so there’s minimal o2 ingress then I set gas at 3 psi to push over the beer to the keg.

Extra yeast pitch, two dry hop additions, plus cold crash = how long in the fermenter with multiple O2 exposures? Opposed to @day_trippr ’s comment, I think O2 exposure has B F’d you. It’s not the hops.
It was in the fermenter a total of 13 days and that’s including the cold crash. so if I pop the blowoff blow co2 into the fermenter and the top is open for a total of 1 minute that’s enough o2 exposure to cause this. Idk. Doesn’t seem like that big of a deal, maybe pitching extra yeast scrubbed out the hops somehow.

Back