Where can i find a 3 gallon bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsyoung

Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew some 2.5 gallon batches but can't find 3 or 3.5 gallon plastic bucket. Does anyone know where I can find one or can I just ferment in a 5 gallon one? Thanks

Just use the 5 gallon fermentors, someday one might want to make 5 gallons.

There are several snack items that come in large plastic tubs, pretzels, animal crackers and such. Some of these tubs are about 2 1/2 gallon size. I am using a couple of them for fermenters when I want to try variations on recipes. I've drilled the lids to accept a grommet to hold an air lock.

For primary fermentation, the 5gal bucket will work fine. Just keep the lid in place the entire time, and you'll avoid oxidation issues as the CO2 will keep the headspace filled. You may not want to use the bucket as a secondary, though. As Chuck points out, a large #2 plastic container (I use the black colored GNC protein mix containers) with the lid drilled make fine secondaries.

I'm wanting to brew some 2.5 gallon batches but can't find 3 or 3.5 gallon plastic bucket. Does anyone know where I can find one or can I just ferment in a 5 gallon one? Thanks

Go to a grocery store that has a bakery and ask if they have any icing buckets. I got mine from my local Publix and they seemed happy to hand it over. The only other place I've seen 3.5 Gallon buckets is online. I know US Plastics has them pretty cheap if you don't mind paying shipping.

This sounds crazy, but go to petsmart online and look for dog nugget containers, some come with awesome air tight lids !!..........

For primary fermentation, the 5gal bucket will work fine. Just keep the lid in place the entire time, and you'll avoid oxidation issues as the CO2 will keep the headspace filled. You may not want to use the bucket as a secondary, though. As Chuck points out, a large #2 plastic container (I use the black colored GNC protein mix containers) with the lid drilled make fine secondaries.

This.

Just ferment in a 5 gallon bucket and follow the advice of countless members of this forum and don't use a secondary. Your beer will turn out great!

Not sure why nobody seems to make a 3 gallon brew bucket, but pretty much everyplace carries 3 gallon better bottles and carboys. Kinda annoying.

It is annoying. I want to dry hop but am worried about opening it after fermentation is done

david_42 said:
No, the CO2 generated will fill the bucket without a problem.

What if I want to dry hop in primary and have to open the lid?

If you wait until fermentation slows but you are still getting a little activity, you can dry hop and let the beer replace the CO2. You'll lose a little aroma to the bubbling, so you might want a little more hops than you usually use.

Back