Where are thou yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobstar

Reaction score
Good day,

Would anyone know a good supplier of dry yeast?
I have a great supplier for Malts and Hops but now I need YEAST!. my local brew shop "Defalco's" sells their stuff at ridiculously inflated prices.

Thanks!

I'm located in Canada but don't mind ordering from the US. it usually turns out cheaper anyways.

I think yeast is one thing that is better to buy local. shipping in the heat can damage yeast.

Saving, storing and re-pitching is a way to make your yeast dollars go much further.

I hear you. My lhbs sells Nottingham for $4.50 and S-04/S-05 for $5.50 (US dollars). It always irks me to buy them there as they can be had online as cheaply as $1.45. Any of the major homebrew stores online have good prices. Just shop around and find one which has everything else you need, too. Or, as mentioned above, just buy one more packet and start washing your yeast.

I think yeast is one thing that is better to buy local. shipping in the heat can damage yeast.

I disagree, but it probably depends on your lhbs. Mine only carries liquid yeast that is over a year old, and that is certainly worse than having fresh yeast shipped to you. The upside to buying from a big supplier online is that they have constant turnover so you always get fresh yeast - and most anywhere you can buy yeast from online will ship it with an icepack for a small upcharge.

I disagree, but it probably depends on your lhbs. Mine only carries liquid yeast that is over a year old, and that is certainly worse than having fresh yeast shipped to you. The upside to buying from a big supplier online is that they have constant turnover so you always get fresh yeast - and most anywhere you can buy yeast from online will ship it with an icepack for a small upcharge.

Liquid yeast is only good for 4 months shelf life. And it looses viability during those 4 months. I guess I'm lucky to have a shop that always has fresh tubes of liquid yeast. The oldest one I've gotten locally have never been more then a month old.

Dry yeast lasts much longer a year or more.

Both need to be stored cold.

Nice deal!. Notty for $1.50 per packet at volume is hard to beat. Unless shipping is rapacious, that's pretty nice.

I like the convenience of dry yeast. Unless I have a very particular flavor in mind, I get beer that is very satisfactory at much lower cost without having to get the starter going a few days in advance. To each his own.

Guld, what HBS is your LHBS? My "local" one is Rape-Artist when it comes to prices. I suspect you are using the same one.

Well, I don't want to name names, but I'm in Columbus, if that helps. My LHBS is decent overall, service is generally good, but the price on many items is through the roof. Thankfully, liquid yeast has come down a couple of dollars recently, making it just a little pricey rather than obnoxious.

Latest posts

Back