When your work is throwing out a perfectly good Glycol chiller...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skraeling

Scientist Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You dead lift the son of a ***** into your backseat instead.

Work was tossing out this monster recirculating chiller unit and I just couldnt let that happen... so Im going to turn it into a glycol setup for myself and retire my ferm fridge.

MpFpfG7.jpg

Unknown what this things btu capacity is but judging from its size?... probably a lot.

Perhaps you'll be able to find some user documentation online, or by contacting the mfr.

You lucky dog!

Trying to track down some stats for it, but this is the model.

VWR Polyscience 1171 Chiller Recirculator

plan is to run the recirc into a ~15qt cooler and use the SS brew tech FTSS and have the cooler as the cold reservoir.

A quick search turned up this. Looks like the mfr. has tons of lit on various products. If they don't have a free manual for your unit, you could contact them. Tell them you work for the company that owned it and you need a replacement manual. A parts list might be nice, too, in case you need to replace something along the way.

Looks like the beginnings of a cool (pun intended) DIY project.

I congratulated you on your score and envy your journey of discovery. I use glycol and have had a variety of units. If you have questions please contact me.

I congratulated you on your score and envy your journey of discovery. I use glycol and have had a variety of units. If you have questions please contact me.

itll mostly be figuring out the menu abbreviations on it heh and getting it to do what I want :)

Do have a question for you though. Does my plan above seem like a logical flow for this unit above.

Water chill recirc unit keeping a Couple gallons ~3gal of glycol:water in a 1:3 mix in a Cooler cold and setting some SS tech pumps into that to use for cooling.

Hm ok small wrinkle in using this thing. It seems to be a positive displacement pump meaning I have 0 suction on the inlet side.

Only a small issue as I’ll probably set up the coolant reservoir (via ball valve cooler) to gravity feed back to the chiller.

Back