When you drop the chiller in...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I imagine this has been discussed before but I'll bring it up agian. When I put my chiller into the boil kettle, the boiling stops for a few minutes. Do you stop the timer on your boil for this or just ignore it?

It shouldn't stop if you have a pretty good boil going. I'd suggest running some warm water over it first so it isn't so cold, otherwise you can "ignore it" as you say and get the boil going again. Most people will tell you to drop it in with about 10 minutes left (which is a good time to drop in Irish Moss too if you are using it).

Drop it in at the end of the boil.
You can wait a few minutes before you start running water. It will still be plenty hot to sanitize the chiller, and you won't waste gas trying to re-gain your boil just to cool it back down again.

You raised my curiosity to the point where I had to calculate a loss of 5 minutes in the boil.

Just changing the 60 min addition, it only affected the IBUs by .2-.7 IBus depending on gravity, etc.

I'd bet at most, with a loss of 5 mins. in the boil(I usually lose ~ 2mins), that you'd only lose a max of 1-ish IBUs.

You raised my curiosity to the point where I had to calculate a loss of 5 minutes in the boil.

Just changing the 60 min addition, it only affected the IBUs by .2-.7 IBus depending on gravity, etc.

I'd bet at most, with a loss of 5 mins. in the boil(I usually lose ~ 2mins), that you'd only lose a max of 1-ish IBUs.

The IBU difference would be way less significant. The boil isn't actually 'stopping'. You might drop the temp in the kettle from 212° to 205-206° when you drop the chiller in. If the temp dropped back to ambient temp when you put the chiller in then your IBU difference calculation might be closer to correct.

The IBU difference would be way less significant. The boil isn't actually 'stopping'. You might drop the temp in the kettle from 212° to 205-206° when you drop the chiller in. If the temp dropped back to ambient temp when you put the chiller in then your IBU difference calculation might be closer to correct.

Good call.

+1 on the Starsan! Just submerge yer chiller in a bucket of Starsan and watch the dullness disappear in 10 minutes....I would rather have whatever that "dullness" is, in my bucket rather than in me beer...... Roll away the dew!

rdwhahb, you guys are so precise. I usually don't even use a timer. I guess I don't give my palate much credit.
btw, I drop the wort chiller in a couple minutes after flameout. no starsan. The wort is plenty hot.

However, I like to do late additions of hops at flameout and the chiller gets in my way. This is how I found that Starsan does the job just as good as boiling dirty copper in my precious wort.

+ 2 on sanitizing the chiller and inmerse it at flameout.

I also noticed that when i soak the copper chiller in oxigen-based sanitizer it ends up clean and shiny.

I like the idea of sanitizer and then dunking after flame out. I use hop sacks and the late additions sometimes get snagged on the chiller so that should be eliminated now.

Thanks!

By the way, doing my first all grain today - WOOOOO WHOOOO!

+1 on the Starsan! Just submerge yer chiller in a bucket of Starsan and watch the dullness disappear in 10 minutes....I would rather have whatever that "dullness" is, in my bucket rather than in me beer...... Roll away the dew!

+ 2 on sanitizing the chiller and inmerse it at flameout.

I also noticed that when i soak the copper chiller in oxigen-based sanitizer it ends up clean and shiny.

The "dullness" is the protective oxide layer formed on copper. When you leave it immersed in a highly reactive or acidic cleaner it strips this oxide layer away.

Issue? no. dirty? no.

I toss my immersion chiller in at the end when I think about it. Unless you left your chiller super icky from the last brew session and put it in when the wort is cold, there is nothing to really worry about.

Oh if the boiling stops I just ignore it. To short of time to really worry too much about it tbh.

Latest posts

Back