When to take ph reading during mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
1st all grain and wondering when do I take the PH reading ? Before,after, or during the mash???

I take it at 15 minutes. I don't make any adjustments then, it's almost too late. I just note it for the next time so I can make adjustments for the next batch.

I take mine just after a minute or so, just after I stir. I can still adjust it and mine does not change throughout the 60 minute mash, once set.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I take 3 readings. 5, 10, 15 minutes into the mash. I also don't make any adjustments I just record the information for the next time.

I measure as soon as I'm done stirring, and sometimes when running off my first running just to see if there was a change. Kyle

You want mash pH, not water pH. Take the reading as soon after you add the grains as you can because conversion starts immediately and may be done before you would think.

Mash pH is literally a moving target. I take it right after mash-in and again every 15 min. I only make pH adjustments early in the mash like right away. I use phosphoric acid and try to shoot for 5.3 I've noticed that on my system mash pH slowly drops over the 60-90 min mash and if I can start out early below 5.4 I'm happy

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back