When to start timer for mash??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looked all over and maybe i can’t find it b/c it’s such a basic question, nonetheless . . .

So, I am doing BIAB with a Clawhammer 10.5 gal brew kettle w/ heating element, digital controller and insulation kit. I have yet to brew anything in the system, but I did run a couple tubs of water to test the system and time how long to heat up.

My recipe calls for 60 min sacch rest at 152, then bump up to 170 for 10 min mash out . . . Question . . . Say I’ve reached the 60 min at 152 and turn up heat to 170, when do I start the 10 min timer? Do I wait until my mash is at 170 then start 10 mins? Seems that would make sense. From my tests it takes about 10 minutes for 8 gal of water to go from 152 to 170 with this system.

Thanks.

Others may chime in here but you really don’t need a mashout with BIAB.

The process/reason behind the mash out is to stop any activity while you sparge but with BIAB you simply remove the bag of grains from the wort, which effectively is a “mash out” process.

I would say skip the mashout. That is a step used to stop conversion while doing a 45-60 minute fly sparge then going to the boil. With BIAB, you pull the bag and start the boil relatively quickly so the step is unimportant.

Also, don't rely on step times given in recipes. Mash until the mash is finished. Take measurements and/or do an iodine test. I believe that many of the poor efficiencies brewers get are through not mashing for long enough, or going to mash-out with starch still remaining. Not really an issue if you're crushing super fine for BIAB.

Back