When to ramp up Warner's 30C method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing a Hefe and using Eric Warner's 30C rule. I have heard this method works well to pitch at 13C and ferment at 17C, or 12 and 18, or any other combination of 30C.

I was hoping someone could clarify something for me. I pitched at 54F, hoping to ferment at 62F. I am using temp control and a thermowell in the wort in my glass carboy. I used a starter, and the lag time was still 24 hours (possibly due to cold pitch temp or ?). It has been in active fermentation for just over 12 hours, krausen is high, and there is a lot of activity, but the temp still is at 54F.

My question is when to ramp it up to 62F?

Thanks!

I would say now. You're only looking at a few days of total fermentation time if you use a proper size starter. You could try bumping it up 2 degrees a day until you hit 62.

I'm currently brewing a Hefe and using Eric Warner's 30C rule. I have heard this method works well to pitch at 13C and ferment at 17C, or 12 and 18, or any other combination of 30C.

How did your batch turn out? My Hefes have turned out tart and I think it has to do with fermentation temperatures. Please let me know if you are doing this to avoid tartness. I can only get dry yeasts, so I am stuck with WB-06 and M20 but I am wondering if they get better with a better temp control.

Latest posts

Back