When to rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwiz

Reaction score
Okay, first batch here so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Here are some details.

Used Wyeast 4766 in 5 gallons of fresh cider.
It has sat for 6.5 days between 71-74*.
Bubbling has slowed down at once per every 5 seconds from every 3 seconds.

OG was 1.058, yesterday it was sitting at 1.021

So, my original plan was to rack tonight which would be 7 days in the primary. OR should I wait till the gravity is closer to 1.000?

It currently tastes really good I think but does have a very distinct 'yeasty' aroma. Hoping that the yeasty aroma will tone down once I transfer to secondary...

I like to rack around day 7-10, but I look for a specific depth of lees on the bottom and I generally like to rack around 1.015 or so. When to rack is a personal preference and experience with your recipe and conditions. I prefer to do it when there's still some fermentation left to create a blanket of CO2. If you do it too soon though then you will have to rack again when the lees build up again.

I like to rack around day 7-10, but I look for a specific depth of lees on the bottom and I generally like to rack around 1.015 or so. When to rack is a personal preference and experience with your recipe and conditions. I prefer to do it when there's still some fermentation left to create a blanket of CO2. If you do it too soon though then you will have to rack again when the lees build up again.

Okay thanks, unfortunately its in a bucket so I can't see whats going on down there.

I just racked my first batch of cider the other day after 2.5 weeks in primary, used the same yeast as you. It settled at 1.001, but I plan on back sweetening when I bottle. Not sure if that helps, but it is confirmation that your gravity will continue to drop over the next week or so.

It's easy enough to pop the top to take a gravity reading. But if you don't have a secondary vessel, then just let it ride until you think it's finished. 3-4 weeks? You'll have to crack it open at some point ;)

No matter what, I always let my cider sit in primary fermentation for two weeks. I actually don't even take gravity readings until day 14. I bottle, so it may be different if you plan to cold crash, keg, and force carb.

No matter what, I always let my cider sit in primary fermentation for two weeks. I actually don't even take gravity readings until day 14. I bottle, so it may be different if you plan to cold crash, keg, and force carb.

My plan is to move to secondary for a few weeks then add more sugar and put in champagne bottles. Might do some mini kegs instead, need to look into it.

Good luck, schwiz.

I move my cider to secondary for three weeks, though I've also done two weeks. That way, I know that fermentation is finished and I won't have any bottle bombs when I add sugar to bottle prime. The downside is that I always end up with cider at 1.000, so very dry.

If I had the equipment, I'd probably cold crash it above 1.010 so that it's still sweet and then keg it and force carb it.

I went ahead and racked to secondary today. There wasn't much trub in the bottom of the bucket. But those little buggers were busy, took the gravity reading from 21 to 6 in just two days, glad I went ahead and racked. Its tasting really good too, nice and balanced, can't wait to taste it once its mellowed out!

In the beginning I was always in a hurry, If the bubbling slowed down to nothing I racked to a secondary carboy. Well after about 10 batches I started to get lazy not on sanitization or anything like that I just couldn't find the time to rack.

The batch I am on now was in the primary 17 days before I racked there was nothing left for the yeast to eat. OG was at 1.080 FG was at 0.996 maybe a little lower coming in at 11.45 ALCH%.

What I noticed because I got lazy and didn't rack earlier was a very smooth taste. I will usually test at least 1 cup and drink it afterwards and have to say what a warm fuzzy feeling and a nice high.

But to each his own, as I have gained more experience I also seem to have a little more patience. We all seem to get in a hurry especially the first few batches. But as many people have said the longer the better. Glad I got lazy I still have a few gallons in storage, but as they say patience is a virtue.

Have fun, what started for me was to cut costs from buying at the store has become a nice little hobby for me. I restock, I make, and I enjoy my brew and my new hobby.

Does it make any difference whether a cider is aged in primary, secondary, or bottles? Can you bottle after 3-4 weeks in primary, and then age for 6 months, and have the same effect as racking to secondary after a month and aging in secondary for 5 months?

I don't care what anyone says, but the yeast definitely imparts flavor. I can't see the yeast doing any favors, flavor wise, for a cider. Best to put in a secondary if you plan on aging for 6 months. Or bottles, but secondary is probably the best bet, unless you want to drink one every now and again to taste test.

Back