When to put the raspberry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alto

Reaction score
Good day Guys,

I am making a raspberry ale, OG was 1.054 I am now at 1.022 and FG supposed to be 1.012 at what point do i drop in the raspberry? I have chosen to use frozen ones, (fresh= 20$, frozen=12$, can of puree=34$) do i drop them frozen or? I thought about spraying them with vodka but I read that it is not necessary whit frozen one.

I would like to have some opinions on the subject.

Good day Guys,

I am making a raspberry ale, OG was 1.054 I am now at 1.022 and FG supposed to be 1.012 at what point do i drop in the raspberry? I have chosen to use frozen ones, (fresh= 20$, frozen=12$, can of puree=34$) do i drop them frozen or? I thought about spraying them with vodka but I read that it is not necessary whit frozen one.

I would like to have some opinions on the subject.
I like to let fermentation pretty much be done (about 10-14 days in). Once fermentation is done, I'll add the frozen fruit on top or rack to a secondary. I don't pour straight from the bag though, I add from a sanatized pan. To sanatize the pan I simply boil water for a few minutes with the lid on.

Expect the beer to referment, as there's additional sugar from the fruit.

My mango ale I recently made, had an OG of 1.062 and I added the mango when it was at a gravity of 1.011 - this beer turned out great, it was a bit tart 1 week into bottle conditioning but now it's at 3 weeks and tastes awesome.

Hope this helps.

Lone_689c06_1078092.jpg

Sorry, I just had to put this here :D

For my rasberry ales I usually let it go for 14 days before adding the rasberries for another 2 weeks.

Are you using a bag for them or just dumping them? Because if you use a bag it will help with keeping the beer clear of rasberry sludge.

The beer has so much alcohol and yeast left in it sanitizing the fruit isn't needed. Make sure fermentation is 100% done as any extra activity may blow the aroma off which is mainly what your most likely going for definitely sanitize the pan and everything but the raspberries dont matter. You can also soak them in vodka making a tea then slowly add the vodka (after about a week) to get the perfect amount for your taste.

Just for completion.

When adding previously frozen fruit, it may be half liquid already from the (repeated) freezing/thawing process, which is good, makes it easier for the beer to process.

If the fruit is whole or in large chunks, it may float, and will take much, much longer to assimilate. In that case, make sure the fruit get dunked under the surface every couple days or mold or other things may start growing on it. Give the fermentor a slight, carefully controlled swirl, use the back end of your long plastic stirring spoon to push them under, or ladle beer over them. Always prevent splashing or beating air into the beer. If you have access to CO2, flush the headspace afterward.

You may add fruit to a primary, it works fine in most cases. But in some cases a properly sized secondary with very little headspace is preferred for that reason or when you leave it on fruit for several weeks or longer.

I sometimes use kegs as secondary vessels because the headspace can be purged with CO2 easily.

Back