When to add vanilla bean and cinnamon sticks ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincolnubrewer

Reaction score
Hi,

I will be brewing pumpkin ale soon and I have fresh vanilla beans on hand to use. The recipe calls for 0.5 tsp vanilla extract at 5min before end of boil. How much vanilla bean equal extract? Add vanilla bean to secondary or same as extract? I also would like to use cinnamon sticks instead powder. Recipe call for 1.5tsp cinnamon powder at 5min. How many would equal cinnamon stick? Add stick to boil or secondary? I appreciate your help/input/advice. Thanks

The seeds need to be scraped out of the vanilla bean and soaked in a high proof spirit (vodka, whiskey, brandy). I usually grate a particular amount of a cinnamon stick, instead of tossing the whole thing in.

My recommendation is to add your spices in secondary. Boiling them tends to drive off some off some flavors, IME.

There are loads of threads about this though (down below, in similar threads). So definitely check those out too.

Back