When to add flavorings during the brewing process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmith915

Reaction score
So I produced my first batch, a 5 gallon DIPA from a kit. Moderately happy with it but looking to brighten it up a bit. Looking for maybe some citrus peel or maybe some spice? What have you guys experimented with that was either successful or not?

A recipe I've used for a Shock Top clone calls for additions of orange peel and coriander with 10 minutes left in the boil. It seems to work about right.

Thanks for the input! Whole coriander seed I'm guessing? Also will try a different blend of hops

A coffee grinder works good on the seed. I used those spinning blade coffee grinders and just give it a couple taps to break them in halves.

Do you guys roast the coriander seeds just briefly and lightly before crushing?

I buy mine from Indian spice stores and they are quite "green" (the color is actually very light tan). Not sure if the ones you use have been roasted a bit. I think the McCormick ones are, but very lightly.

I prefer to use fresh orange zest, grated or a very thin slice of peel without the white pith, rather than the dried variety in spice bottles. In Christmas ales I've brewed, I noticed the longer you boil them the more "earthy" they get, losing the fragrant top orange notes. So I layer them with 3 additions 20, 10 and 0 minutes. Next time I will move them all up 10 minutes and replace the 0 minutes with addition at 180-190°F.

Side note.
My wife bought some pink grapefruits and when I zested the peel for use in a raisin bread, instead of lemon which I was out of, I noticed how good that smelled and tasted in the bread and prefer that over the use of lemon. So one of my next beers may likely use some pink grapefruit zest.

I bet you could dry hop (after fermentation is about finished) with zest and spices too, to get the higher, lighter notes.

I always crack coriander seeds before using them. A spice or coffee grinder works good just as the previous post suggested. But for the ounce or so my recipe calls for I just grab the old mortar and pestle and do it by hand.

I do roast coriander seeds when cooking but haven't tried it with brewing.

I'm planning another batch of Shock Top clone for this weekend. Will use 1 oz of dried orange peel at 10 min left in boil. Then will "dry hop" another 1/2 oz when moving to secondary in a week. This is an experiment and will be interested in the outcome.

When you dry hop the peel, it has to be sanitized, correct?
Does the effect the effectiveness of the peel and need to use more?
I have been using an iodine no rinse to sanitize bottles and fermenters, use the same to sanitize the peels?

I know, a lot of questions but being a nOOb with one brew under my belt I would rather ask questions to lessen my errors.

I appreciate all the input I have received so far from the community!

When you dry hop the peel, it has to be sanitized, correct?
Does the effect the effectiveness of the peel and need to use more?
I have been using an iodine no rinse to sanitize bottles and fermenters, use the same to sanitize the peels?

I didn't get that batch made as planned so the supplies are still on hand waiting for a good brew day. This will be an experimental batch. Haven't tried this method before. My main concern has been that the orange peel seems to need a while to give up its oils to the beer. By straining it off at the end of the boil I'm concerned that it shortens the contact time enough to reduce its effectiveness.

After pondering it a while my latest inclination is to not strain the beer as I pour it into the fermenter. By just leaving the orange peel and the rest of the trub in the beer for a couple weeks it will have plenty of time to give up its essential oils. On moving the beer to secondary all that stuff gets left behind. And it reduces the possibility of introducing an infection.

I've had good success cracking coriander seeds by putting them in a zip-lock and crushing them with a rolling pin. Good option if you don't have a coffee grinder.

Latest posts

Back