When The Rules Don’t Jibe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZCoolerBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I turkey hunt and if you read a book about it, the book will say, “For safety, never bring/ use anything red, white, or blue into the turkey woods, you don’t want other hunters to mistake you for a turkey!”. So lets see, let me think of something you need for turkey hunting, hmmmmm, like shotgun shells. So about 90 percent are red about 5 percent are blue and the other 5 percent are black, yellow, green and white. These ratios include shotshells specifically marketed as turkey ones. Here is literally the first turkey loads I found typing “turkey shotshells”.
Adjustments.JPG

So I guess shotshell makers didn’t get the memo?

I run into this stuff with homebrewing too. One is, “buckets that have scratches have crevasses that harbor bacteria, so it only makes sense that we would throw a hop container that has a screen to allow hop aromas to infuse into the beer. A screen doesn’t have tiny crevasses that could hide bacteria colonies? Scratched bucket bad, hop screen, no problem.

Of course this is over simplification and people can argue and this isn’t the debate forum, but what sorts of hobby rules do you see that completely contradict common practices? I think we should stay away from homebrew examples especially if it craps on someone’s personal dogma.

One of my roommates in college was from Upstate NY. He was looking at a Cabela's catalog one day and laughing at all the orange vests because that would definitely not work in "his woods". City-slickers from NYC will shoot at anything that moves, even if it is orange. You aren't hiding from the deer. You are hiding from the city-slickers!

I keep my shells in the tube and in my pockets, not on my hat:ghostly:

Alright, how do you unload your shotgun to cross a fence safely?
1. Take shotgun back to the truck 1.5 miles
2. Unload shotgun leaving shells in truck
3. Walk back 1.5 miles. Place shotgun on other side of fence.
4. Walk back to truck and put shells in pocket.
5. Walk back to shot gun and cross fence.
6. Use shovel also retrieved from truck to dig out of sight bunker.
7. Re-load gun safely.
8. Badaboom!

9. Unload the shell from the chamber into your hand / place shell into pocket until you cross fence.
If your worried about getting shot at the fenceline, you must have been a marine at Guantanamo Bay...….

9. Unload the shell from the chamber into your hand / place shell into pocket until you cross fence.
If your worried about getting shot at the fenceline, you must have been a marine at Guantanamo Bay...….

Really not trying to argue. Personally, I don’t care anymore and just use red shells, but based on the books, I found green shells for my first hunt. I unload my gun to walk long distances quickly, load at my set up, unload when I take a nap. If it’s really an issue then its an issue the way I manage it. From a practical sense the shotshells are visible when you load and unload, which is important for hunting safely, so it is a contradiction no matter how we rationalize it.

Back