When taking the Final Gravity, Where's the Alcohol??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where's the Alcohol??

• Top 1/3rd of carboy

• Middle

• Lower 1/3rd of carboy

• In the trub

• Alcohol is uniformly distributed

Results are only viewable after voting.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
->When taking the Final Gravity, Where's the Alcohol??

I little something I think about when I make my FG readings (and sometimes prior to secondary), is where does the alcohol settle? Do you disturb your carboy to mix the alcohol uniformly?

VOTE!

carboy.jpg

Solubilities of Alcohols in Water

Formula Name Solubility in Water (g/100 g)

CH3OH methanol infinitely soluble
CH3CH2OH ethanol infinitely soluble
CH3(CH2)2OH propanol infinitely soluble
CH3(CH2)3OH butanol 9
CH3(CH2)4OH pentanol 2.7
CH3(CH2)5OH hexanol 0.6
CH3(CH2)6OH heptanol 0.18
CH3(CH2)7OH octanol 0.054
CH3(CH2)9OH decanol insoluble in water

purdue.edu

Solubilities of Alcohols in Water

Formula Name Solubility in Water (g/100 g)

CH3OH methanol infinitely soluble
CH3CH2OH ethanol infinitely soluble
CH3(CH2)2OH propanol infinitely soluble
CH3(CH2)3OH butanol 9
CH3(CH2)4OH pentanol 2.7
CH3(CH2)5OH hexanol 0.6
CH3(CH2)6OH heptanol 0.18
CH3(CH2)7OH octanol 0.054
CH3(CH2)9OH decanol insoluble in water

purdue.edu

Okay then why ask the question?

It is sugars that may be dispersed differently throughout the carboy and you may get a slightly different readings from different levels. Nothing to worry about though.

I once found alcohol in my toilet. Toilet wouldn't stop running so I opened it up and there was a Natural Ice blocking the plug... must have been in there for over 3 years... I hadn't bought Natty since a party in college and well... $hit happens... and sometimes you need a place to keep your beer... I'm guessing...

It's primarily located in the center of the fermenter in a vertical column. The yeast swim in circles as they produce alcohol and this tends to have a whirlpool effect,causing the alcohol to concentrate in this central column. The yeast swim clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counterclockwise in the southern but this has little effect on the alcohol column. Once the yeast stop swimming, this alcohol column can collapse but since it is repelled by the positively charged trub, it will evenly disperse in the beer.

It's primarily located in the center of the fermenter in a vertical column. The yeast swim in circles as they produce alcohol and this tends to have a whirlpool effect,causing the alcohol to concentrate in this central column. The yeast swim clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counterclockwise in the southern but this has little effect on the alcohol column. Once the yeast stop swimming, this alcohol column can collapse but since it is repelled by the positively charged trub, it will evenly disperse in the beer.

I gotta say, I'm a physicist and this all makes complete sense.

it's primarily located in the center of the fermenter in a vertical column. The yeast swim in circles as they produce alcohol and this tends to have a whirlpool effect,causing the alcohol to concentrate in this central column. The yeast swim clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counterclockwise in the southern but this has little effect on the alcohol column. Once the yeast stop swimming, this alcohol column can collapse but since it is repelled by the positively charged trub, it will evenly disperse in the beer.

ftw!

it's primarily located in the center of the fermenter in a vertical column. The yeast swim in circles as they produce alcohol and this tends to have a whirlpool effect,causing the alcohol to concentrate in this central column. The yeast swim clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counterclockwise in the southern but this has little effect on the alcohol column. Once the yeast stop swimming, this alcohol column can collapse but since it is repelled by the positively charged trub, it will evenly disperse in the beer.

obama legit.jpg

This is why it's so dangerous to secondary because if you disturb the alcohol column at the wrong time...well I don't even want to think about it...scary stuff

How do you think people go blind from drinking homebrew? They F'd up the column by causing an inorganic collapse of Ethenols, thus creating Methanols.:tank:

Back