When should I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmybrews

Reaction score
I just finished my first brew! I bought the Caribou Slobber one gal kit from Northern. After one day I noticed no bubbles in the airlock, but had a clearly defined krausen. It appeared to go all the way up the jug and now, after 5 days all that remains is about 1/4 inch on top. I also see much sediment at the bottom of the jug. Realizing that it’s been only 5 days fermenting, but based on my description do you all think it’s finished? TYVM!

Congratulations on your first beer.
All seems to be progressing normally and well according to your information. I would wait nine more days (two weeks in the fermenter) and check the gravity if you have a hydrometer.
While the beer may be done fermenting after five days, it's best not to rush it, generally speaking.

Congratulations on your first beer.
All seems to be progressing normally and well according to your information. I would wait nine more days (two weeks in the fermenter) and check the gravity if you have a hydrometer.
While the beer may be done fermenting after five days, it's best not to rush it, generally speaking.

Thanks for this. Heading out to buy some additional supplies - a hydrometer includes!

Welcome to HBT.
I'd suggest taking two gravity samples after 2 or 3 weeks, 2 - 3 days apart. If gravity is stable and in an appropriate range, and no signs of active fermentation, bottle. If it has dropped at all, wait a week and check again. If it hasn't finished fermenting when you bottle, it will finish in the bottles, producing gushers and maybe bottle bombs.

Realizing that it’s been only 5 days fermenting, but based on my description do you all think it’s finished?

My 1st brew was also the NB 1 gal Caribou Slobber kit. Active fermentation finishes quickly. My experiences with this recipe (or equivalent Moose Drool clone recipes) is that it's better when I let it set in the "primary' fermenter for three weeks. I also bottle directly from the primary fermenter.

The topic 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE! could be an interesting read over the next couple of weeks.

Observations on 1 gal carboy volumes:
  • If you filled to the “ONE GALLON” raised lettering in the carboy, that is about 120 oz of wort and trub. Trub will displace around 8 oz of wort.
  • Hydrometer samples will take up about 5 oz of wort per sample.
  • Losses during bottling (including either starting the auto-siphon or left in the the auto-siphon) will also take up about 5 oz of wort.
When I occasionally ferment in 1 gal carboys, I always get a six pack (and typically 8 bottles).

For most of my small batches, I brew to a end result (12 pack) using a two gallon food grade bucket. I will scale the recipe to account for the losses I mentioned above.

If the goal is to maximize the number of bottles from a one gallon carboy, there should be a lot of information in "1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!" topic.

My 1st brew was also the NB 1 gal Caribou Slobber kit. Active fermentation finishes quickly. My experiences with this recipe (or equivalent Moose Drool clone recipes) is that it's better when I let it set in the "primary' fermenter for three weeks. I also bottle directly from the primary fermenter.

The topic 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE! could be an interesting read over the next couple of weeks.

Observations on 1 gal carboy volumes:
  • If you filled to the “ONE GALLON” raised lettering in the carboy, that is about 120 oz of wort and trub. Trub will displace around 8 oz of wort.
  • Hydrometer samples will take up about 5 oz of wort per sample.
  • Losses during bottling (including either starting the auto-siphon or left in the the auto-siphon) will also take up about 5 oz of wort.
When I occasionally ferment in 1 gal carboys, I always get a six pack (and typically 8 bottles).

For most of my small batches, I brew to a end result (12 pack) using a two gallon food grade bucket. I will scale the recipe to account for the losses I mentioned above.

If the goal is to maximize the number of bottles from a one gallon carboy, there should be a lot of information in "1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!" topic.

All replies are so helpful. Thanks to all. Will take your advice. I started this hobby bc I got really sick and home from work sitting on my butt. Better now but love this hobby. Thanks again to all. I’m going to be here for a while! Appreciate your help!

Back