When is the best time to add my ingredients: yeast energizer, yeast nutrient etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beginner_at_Work

Reaction score
Hi I made a post like this for cider, please dont judge me.... but I am also experimenting with kilju(sugar, water & yeast). Please dont judge me I am doing this for experimental reasons. I have 5 ingredients: champagne yeast, yeast energizer, yeast nutrient, gelatin finings and campden tablets.

1. When and in what order would be best to add all these ingredients?

2. Do i take the first hydrometer reading right after adding the sugar(minus all of the above ingredients)?

Please dont judge me for making kilju, I am new to this and want to experiment with basic things first, I am also making cider. I want to see what it taste like.

From what I remember, I believe the Camden is used to kill off any wild yeast if you are using fresh juice for your cider if it's store bought I think you will be fine. You will need to use one tablet of Camden per gallon of juice and leave it for 24 hours before pitching your yeast. Yeast energizer and nutrient can be added right before pitching your yeast in either your cider or kiju. To use the gelatin I think you boil a certain amount im sure it's on the packet, dump into your desires vessel and cold crash to around 35 degrees or so. I could be wrong tho hopefully someone more experienced chimes in.

To use the gelatin I think you boil a certain amount im sure it's on the packet, dump into your desires vessel and cold crash to around 35 degrees or so. I could be wrong tho hopefully someone more experienced chimes in.

You don't boil the gelatin. Use after fermentation is complete (or target gravity reached). See the info below for general procedure:

Bertus Brewery Gelatin Instructions

Oh and Take the hydro reading before adding the Camden.

1. so basically take it before adding any ingredients other then the sugar?

2. and will the campden tablets be the first thing i add after i add sugar? then i wait 24 hours to add the rest of the ingredients(minus gelatin finings)?

3. and i am using filtered tap water, for kilju. This is why im using the campden tablets. it will kill any chloramines in the water correct?

From what I remember, I believe the Camden is used to kill off any wild yeast if you are using fresh juice for your cider if it's store bought I think you will be fine. You will need to use one tablet of Camden per gallon of juice and leave it for 24 hours before pitching your yeast. Yeast energizer and nutrient can be added right before pitching your yeast in either your cider or kiju. To use the gelatin I think you boil a certain amount im sure it's on the packet, dump into your desires vessel and cold crash to around 35 degrees or so. I could be wrong tho hopefully someone more experienced chimes in.

thank you :)

I only make beer, so I am not familiar with how Kilju is made. I would take a reading before you add the yeast.

i read the link u gave me, thank you. Another question. Do i decant my brew before adding the gelatin finings or can i just add it without decanting it first?

which is better in your opinion

If you know you are using gelatin to clarify, I would cold crash to 32-35F for a couple days in the primary fermenter, then add the gelatin. Let it sit for around 3 days, then transfer into kegs/bottles/whatever you want to store it in.

I dont believe you i know people who made it tell me it taste pleasant. after adding certain ingredients to it.

The sugar wash (kilju) isn't going to taste pleasant, period. It's pretty typical to make that and then distill it, but before you distill, you basically have an undrinkable beer. I've tasted it before, and trust me, it isn't good.

Anyways, here's what you need to do:
  1. Treat your water with Campden tablet(s) the night before. How many you will need depends on your batch size and what you're using it for (whether to dechlorinate or to kill wild yeasts)
  2. If you boil your mixture, add the yeast energizer and yeast nutrient at the end of the boil. If you don't boil, just throw it in when you are mixing your sugar and water (or your cider)
  3. If you boil, after the boil is over and your mixture has cooled to around 65 degrees F, add the champagne yeast. If it is dry yeast, you may want to rehydrate it.
  4. After fermentation is complete, cold-crash and fine with gelatin

The sugar wash (kilju) isn't going to taste pleasant, period. It's pretty typical to make that and then distill it, but before you distill, you basically have an undrinkable beer. I've tasted it before, and trust me, it isn't good.

1. Treat your water with Campden tablet(s) the night before. How many you will need depends on your batch size and what you're using it for (whether to dechlorinate or to kill wild yeasts)
  2. If you boil your mixture, add the yeast energizer and yeast nutrient at the end of the boil. If you don't boil, just throw it in when you are mixing your sugar and water (or your cider)
  3. If you boil, after the boil is over and your mixture has cooled to around 65 degrees F, add the champagne yeast. If it is dry yeast, you may want to rehydrate it.
thank you and at what point should i take the first hydrometer reading is it after i add the sugar?

can i add the sugar to the water before i add the campden tablets??
just so i could take the hydrometer reading first.

can i add the sugar to the water before i add the campden tablets??
just so i could take the hydrometer reading first.

Not really. If you are using campden to kill wild yeast, then you don't want the wild yeast around when you add the sugar. I don't know why you are concerned with taking the hydrometer reading first.

You want to take one hydrometer reading after you have mixed the sugar in, but before you have added the yeast. That is your starting gravity. After fermentation starts, you will want to take at least one more hydrometer reading to see how much fermentation has occurred. I would wait at least 2 weeks before taking this reading, depending on your batch size and strain of yeast. Anyways, once the hydrometer reading is low enough for your liking (or is as low as it is going to get), you will be at final gravity.

Latest posts

Back