When is a kettle too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Black

Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up a 30gal brew easy at a good price.

I brew mainly 5-10 gallons but want to upgrade to electric all grain. Is this system too big for a 5 gallon batch? Its overkill for sure... but could I do it?

Thinking about temp sensor placement etc.

Look forward to the feedback. Thanks!

Man 30 gallon is massive . However it's better to have more then enough room then not enough . You can do big beers in that sucker , no worry of boil overs . The only thing is you may have more of a boil off .

So thickness of grainbed isnt really a concern for wort clarity? I read that on one site regarding recommended kettle size for batch size, but haven't seen it anywhere else.

I just realized I still have the converted beer keg/kettle. I no longer use. Are you local to me? Interested in it?

Thanks for offer! And nope - I'm in Kansas City. Been looking at 10-15 gallon kettles when I came across this 30 gallon system... just trying to sort through things.

I've helped at a local brewery . Did 1 barrel batch in a 7 barrel system with no issues.

That's good to know, and similar proportion difference! Maybe with a broader grain bed I just wouldn't need to worry ad mucj about channeling during mash.

30 gal kettle? well if you are doing up to 10 gal batches...should be perfect for a 10 gal RIS or other high gravity BIAB beer...

No, you can't realistically do 5 gallons in a 30. The element would be at about the 4 gallon mark. If you turn it into a BIAB rig, the grain bag would need to be above the element. It's even borderline to do 5 gallons in a 22 gallon pot. You ought to downsize the pot or upsize your batch to 10 gallons.

No, you can't realistically do 5 gallons in a 30. The element would be at about the 4 gallon mark. If you turn it into a BIAB rig, the grain bag would need to be above the element. It's even borderline to do 5 gallons in a 22 gallon pot. You ought to downsize the pot or upsize your batch to 10 gallons.
I agree with bobby. I have a 25 gallon concord kettle as a bk that's slightly wider than ideal and the element needs 5 gallons just to be submerged. I did 7 gallon batch once and it was really close at the end of the boil. I'd pass and do a ebiab personally with a smaller kettle. Cheers

Back