When I grow up, I wanna be a brewmaster!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy everyone! I am a Wyoming native currently stuck in the Puget Sound area. I am no stranger to the pursuit of good beer, but I am a newcomer to the world of homebrewing (so new that I don't even have any equipment yet). It was during my research of brewing that I stumbled upon this site, and I have found far more useful info here than anywhere else. I now have a pretty good idea of what I need, so this weekend I'm off to the local homebrew shop to get my first kit. From what I've learned, an APA seems like a good beginner beer, but any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers Y'all!

Welcome Hombre. That's a nice area up there! I spent a couple months working all around Seattle, and stayed down in Renton.

Welcome to the forum. If you're a beginner looking to do a good pale ale I'd recommend checking out this thread and picking up a kit.

Welcome to the forum. I'm probably somewhere close to your secret Puget Sound lair. Looks like you've decided on a good first beer. Happy Brewing.

Welcome from another newbie (6 or so batches under my belt.) Great info and very nice folks found on this board. Buy your kit, and enjoy your first brew! My second was an APA, and it turned out well, so that seems like a good place to start. A hefeweizen might also be a good one to start with, because the yeast will tolerate warmer temps pretty well and make fruity and clove-flavored esters appropriate to the style in that temp range (i.e. in the 70 - 72ish range, which you might have, since this is your first brew and you probably don't have a fermentation chiller yet.)

BTW, there's nothing wrong with being "stuck" in the PacNW. :) I lived near Portland for a couple years when I was younger, and that's high on my list of places to look for a residency once I finish school. Gorgeous forest and mountains up there.

Whidbey Island? Or are you down in my neighborhood in the Bremerton Area? I'm Navy as well, been in 15 years and LOVE IT!!! (Okay, not really, but I get paid pretty damn good).

Considered doing Whidbey. I'd rather be there than here:) Yeah...the pay is good after 10 years or so.....but by then they've got you, and you have no choice but to take the BS!

I spent two years up their. Didn't enjoy it so much. Beautiful place and all, but that damn wind blowing year round didn't impress me, or having to live in the flight path of jets while I was on shift-work.

ScubaSteve said:
Considered doing Whidbey. I'd rather be there than here:) Yeah...the pay is good after 10 years or so.....but by then they've got you, and you have no choice but to take the BS!

Yeah, pretty much. It's been a cycle for me, I've had some really crappy times followed by some decent times, so in the end I've led myself to believe that it has all averaged out.

Back