When do I strain ginger from my ginger beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
I am making a batch of ginger beer and I can't recall (it's been awhile) if I strain the ginger and solids out before yeast or after? The recipe says add yeast after it steeps for an hour and cools down. Then let it all sit overnight. Then strain it. But it seems the yeast should wait until after it has been strained. Thoughts?

Here's the recipe:

Code:
1 Barter Ginger Beer
Preparation Time: 2 days*Yield: 2L 
Ingredients1 large piece of fresh ginger (1 cup),*I made it 1.5 cups of water/ginger to make it less spicy.* It was extremely spicy the first round I made it.) processed in food processor, no need to peel it just clean it. 1-2 lime 1.5 packed cups dark brown sugar 2 L water ¼ tsp cinnamon ¼ tsp nutmeg ¼ tsp allspice¼ tsp fennel seed (I've actually never used this cuz I don't have any.) ⅓ cup raisins ⅛ tsp vanilla extract ¼ tsp Nottingham ale or Champagne yeast (don't use bakers yeast, get this at a homebrew store.* There's one called Beer at Home in Englewood on Broadway)
Preparation 1. Combine cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, fennel seed, raisins, lime zest, and 3 cups water in pot.* 2. Add 1 cup water to a 2 cup measuring cup, then add matchsticked ginger until water reaches the*2**1.5 cup mark. Add the ginger and the additional cup of water to the pot.* 3. Bring water to a boil and add brown sugar, stirring to prevent it from burning or boiling over. Once the pot boils, remove from heat and cover. 4. Combine 1 cup warm water (<90ºF) and ¼ tsp yeast in cup. 5. Wait 1 hour.* 6. Transfer contents of pot to a pitcher (with lid) and add 3/4 juice of lime and vanilla extract.* 7. Add 3 cups cold water. 8. Allow contents of pitcher to cool to <90ºF and add yeast starter.* 9. Cover pitcher and allow it to rest overnight at room temperature. 10. Strain out the solids and transfer the ginger beer into an empty, clean, 2L soda bottle. There should be about 2” of air at the top of the bottle. 11. Squeeze most of the air out of the bottle and cap tightly.* 12. Place bottle in warm, dark place(70-90º F), allowing the yeast to carbonate the bottle. Check the bottle after no more than 8 hours.* 13. When bottle is thoroughly hard, place bottle into the refrigerator overnight to halt the activity of the yeast. Caution: If left at room temperature, the bottle may explode from excess CO2. When bottle is cold, the ginger beer is ready to drink. Open bottle slowly to prevent a foam geyser. Notes: Less sugar will produce a crisper, dryer ginger beer but I'd stay in the 2/3 cup to 1 1/2 cup range. More ginger will produce a stronger ginger beer but I wouldn't go more than 2 cups ginger. It might be my imagination but I feel like, after a week or so in the fridge, the ginger flavor backs off a bit and the citrus flavor becomes more pronounced. I often let a couple fennel seeds and raisins make it into the bottle, they're a tasty surprise in my glass. Original gravity 1.0523 but bottle will carbonate before it registers a change in ABV, therefore then. 

ginger beer is <1% ABV.**

Thanks Yooper, how long should I let it sit with ginger? It says overnight then strain. So 8 hours?

Last question: how long do you think it will last in a keg? Obviously I won't put yeast in it if kegging. But curious how long it will last?

Last question: how long do you think it will last in a keg? Obviously I won't put yeast in it if kegging. But curious how long it will last?

At fridge temps, it lasts a long while. I wouldn't store it long at room temperature, as it'd be like a food product with the ginger and sugar.

Ok thanks Yooper!

How long should I let it all sit on ginger and spices before filtering it?

Ok thanks Yooper!

How long should I let it all sit on ginger and spices before filtering it?

The best answer I have is "until it's steeped enough". My favorite ginger ale uses fresh ginger, not steeped/cooked ginger and I strain that after a day. It may take longer for your recipe, though.

Thanks Yooper, I let it steep 11 hours.

I have it in my keg now (no yeast) and I put it through a sifter (not super fine) to straing all my fresh ginger, and raisins. However it's not coming out of my keg? The CO2 is up to 25PSI and I've had it at that level for 24 hours now. No dice. My line isn't clogged because I just cleaned and sanitized it before tapping the keg. Do you think it's clogged inside? Maybe a single raisin made it into the keg? Thoughts? I don't want to open it if I don't have to, but at the same time since it's a soda it shouldn't be as critical as a full brew. There are only 2 gallons in the 5 gallon keg too.

Thanks,
Lorne

Back