When do I rack? Or bottle for that matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxman73

Reaction score
Hi All,

First batch of cider for me. I pitched my yeast 10 days ago. I was wondering when I should think about racking it to a secondary? I was going to rack it after a total of 14 days, which is what I do with most of my beers. Does that seem about right? Should I take some gravity readings?

I've read cider likes to age. But SWMBO is impatient. Once the cider is in the secondary, am I ok to bottle once it clears up?

Thanks!

Rack it when it reaches around 1.004 gravity. Bottle it when it clears up.

I looked into this myself and you will definitely get different opinions. If you are not planning on extended aging then you should be fine to skip the secondary. Just straight from primary to bottle.

I am making a batch that I plan to let sit in the carboy for a while so I racked into a topped up airlocked carboy.

I've got some cider that's been on the lees for a year, I've made quick ciders, the Apfelwein thread has people who've gone +3 months. As Jsiddal said, it depends who you ask.

If you plan on aging I'd suggest racking anytime after 1 month or if active fermentation stops sooner, rack sooner. The suggestion for 1.004 gravity sounds like good advice too, though some people prefer to stop cider at 1.030-40 so it really depends on how sweet/dry you're going for.

If you've got an appropriately sized carboy you could always snag a gallon or so of your cider to keep SWMBO content while the rest ages. It could also be an experiment for you to see if you like young or old cider.

Once I get free time I might try to figure out the best time to rack for my process.

1.030-1.040? Damn that's sweet! I don't even think commercial ciders are that sweet. Unfermented juice may only be 1.450-1.060

1.030-1.040? Damn that's sweet! I don't even think commercial ciders are that sweet. Unfermented juice may only be 1.450-1.060

For sure! I stopped a batch last night a 1.015 and it is as sweet as candy.

1.030-1.040? Damn that's sweet!
Indeed. I think the OG for these was bumped up with sugar though. I forget what thread(and of course can't find it now) but others beside the legendary sugar and juice sticky report bland flavor when you get below 1.030-20 depending on yeast strain.
And then there's the crowd who are going for alcopop

Edit:
You got me wonderin' : How would that compare to commercial cider?
Using stats from Angry orchard nutrition, what I consider a sweet cider, 23g sugar/12oz(354mL)
I get a 6.2 brix solution or an FG of 1.021
So now I'm wondering if I transposed some numbers somewhere along the way......

Did you adjust the refractometer reading for already fermented cider?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You got me wonderin' : How would that compare to commercial cider?
Using stats from Angry orchard nutrition, what I consider a sweet cider, 23g sugar/12oz(354mL)
I get a 6.2 brix solution or an FG of 1.021
So now I'm wondering if I transposed some numbers somewhere along the way......

I get 6.5 °Bx equivalent to SG 1.026 -- probably close enough.

There's a lit of commercial cider SG and it shows angry orchard crisp at 1.030

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My cider is burping every few minuets, I haven't taken a FG yet but I'm looking to get a slightly sweeter drink. I only have plastic buckets to age In so was wondering. if I stop the fermentation where I want it and add a clarifier, I could bottle in a couple days and just bottle age it right? I'll definitely give a bottle a try pretty soon, but bottle aging isn't going to Inhibit flavor development is it?

Back