When do Hops stop growing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBeagleBrew

Reaction score
As the title states when do hops stop growing? I live in the East Coast of Canada and didn't get my first year rhizomes into the ground until about 3 weeks ago. We had a rough winter this year and just had our last frost a couple weeks ago. I have read they will stop growing the end of June, but that just seems to early especially since they just got up. Just wondering if anyone from a more Northern Climate has any input on the end of their growing season.

Once they start putting on cones they stop growing except for younger bines that haven't burred yet or are just starting to.

As the title states when do hops stop growing? I live in the East Coast of Canada and didn't get my first year rhizomes into the ground until about 3 weeks ago. We had a rough winter this year and just had our last frost a couple weeks ago. I have read they will stop growing the end of June, but that just seems to early especially since they just got up. Just wondering if anyone from a more Northern Climate has any input on the end of their growing season.

The end of June has held pretty true for me. But, it's your first year anyways, so I'd focus on keeping them healthy. If you were going to get cones the first year it wouldn't have been many.

I'm in Chicago area and have hops going into their third year now. My experience is they usually begin slowing down vegetative growth around mid/late July and begin to set cones moving forward. Last year I harvested late August IIRC. This year, who knows since the plants didn't even emerge until late April after a brutal winter. That being said I have two cascades that are already over 16' tall and two centennials at 10-12'!

I should clarify...the stop vertical growth for me around July 1st...lateral growth continues til late July

That's good to know, mine are only about a foot tall now, was hoping to see at least 4 or 5 feet. I didn't think that would be happening if they stopped at the end of the month lol.

Unless they're flowering they'll keep growing. My neighbors gardener tore my CTZ off the fence once in mid June thinking it was a nuisance vine. It was covered in cones. It made a full recovery and I got a normalish harvest. Only difference was I harvested a month late that year.

Hey guys I need some help, what do I do with crazy long side vines? Should I trim? Should I train them? Or should I just leave them? Take a gander at the pic. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402598508.722735.jpgone vine is growing out of the box and others aren't far behind

Hey guys I need some help, what do I do with crazy long side vines? Should I trim? Should I train them? Or should I just leave them? Take a gander at the pic.View attachment 205264one vine is growing out of the box and others aren't far behind

Assuming the bines are already ~6 feet or more, I'd trim the first foot or two of horizontal growth (leaves + side shoots).

Back