When did it become manly to have a shaved chest.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw a commercial for NO NO. It is an electronic hair removal tool and the guy on the commercial shaving his chest gloats that the hair stays away for more than 6 weeks.

When I was growing up, men wished they had nice hairy chests?!?!?!?

Now I see a lot of commercials touting clean shaven chests, what gives? :confused:

Man-O-Lantern. (I couldn't resist)

I've had my chest shaven 3 times, when I was getting my chest tattooed. Each time, I couldn't wait for the hair to finish growing back.

image.jpg

Billy-Klubb said:
I can not grow body hair worth a crap. I guess that makes me ultra manly.

+1. I can't grow facial hair either, at least not without looking laughably white-trashy. Thankfully my wife likes the clean-shaven look.

never had any any to worry about...
did not know chest hair made you manly or the lack there of made you manly
cant grow a decent beard either
hey LIABTYMO (i did 25 years ago)

yeah, I might get colder in the winter. sure I don't have little curlys poking out of my shirt. sorry my front side (or back side) doesn't look like I've been making out with a Wookie. I think I'm manly enough with my sparse white trashy facial hair and I got 12 teeth to prove it.:rockin:

My wife and daughters call me a sasquatch. I don't understand why a man would shave anything other than his face. got a guy at work who will go in depth about shaving his balls.

I don't consider it manly and my opinion of thE particular subject is the only one I value. My wife liked my hair enough to marry me so apparently I'm right to at least one woman.

Somebody missed the point. Nobody questioned the manhood of men not able to grow chest hair. Its the ones that insist on getting dolled up that is in question. Only examples I can think of that's OK if you are a 2 dating/ married to a 11 and she requests it or medical.

I'm fairly hairy, too. I keep my face shaved even though when my Wife and I were dating I had a soul patch. Every once in a while, i'll trim the bush down from afro to hedge but the rest of me runs wild and free. Lucky for me, she has a Tom Sellick crush.

When you are single the right frame of mind is to do what the girls want, not what dudes on the brewing forum think is manly. If it's working for them, I say go for it.

I'm indifferent to what anybody does with their hair. Cut it, don't cut it, whatever. That doesn't apply to my daughter's boyfriend.

I work from home, so shaving anything is optional.

Girls want their boys hairless today, like those hairless cats that freak me out,,, Kids. For me, I'm loosing hair where I want hair and growing it where I don't. I have to shave my ears.

Girls want their boys hairless today, like those hairless cats that freak me out,,, Kids. For me, I'm loosing hair where I want hair and growing it where I don't. I have to shave my ears.

that's the one places I can't stand hair on myself, my ears...

for the question of shaving your chest makes you manly: I don't floccing care. sure I think it's slightly funny, but I am not emotionally invested one way or the other.

Hairy, not hairy- I don't care. Sexy is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I have a "thing" for total opposites- hairy hippies (Eddie Vedder) and hairless soccer players ala' Beckham.

I don't care about the hair, as it's the man underneath that turns my crank. I"ve seen some really hot guys with little to no body hair, but I've seen just as many hot guys that look like Sasquatch. Whatever!

This is such a funny thread

I keep thinking of a guy wearing a bear suit!
Or that southern comfort commercial! But hey whatever ya got be comfortable with it or not

This makes me laugh too. I'm one of those guys you can't understand, I guess. I'm not extremely hairy, but I can't stand the body hair I do have. I manscape like it's my job. I mostly do it for myself, but most girls i know under 30 or so expect at least a little trimmage....

Having said that, I don't care what others do or don't do with their hair.

When the whole man-shaving thing started, I was freaked out. It seemed kind of frufru. But I think I've adjusted. Less shedding, and if there's something good to see, it's more visible with a short trim. A totally smooth shave still weirds me out, though.

My friend that I brewed with today shaves his chest and arms at his wife's request. My gf, his wife's twin sister, likes me to have a beard and full body hair which works because I'm not going to shave my chest or arms, just wouldn't feel right. Maybe some women today are gravitating towards liking the no-hair look...why that is I have no idea.

Yeah, what's up with the growing-hair-in-the-ears deal??? I can't get hair to grow on the top of my head [see avatar], but it grows nicely from my ears!!! Maybe it's only crop rotation???

glenn514:mug:

The idea of manly is just something that ad agencies sell.

The wanting of hair on your chest is the same selling for different products. Often you hear of things that put hair on your chest usually they're strong drinks or maybe hot sauces or something. It's all advertising to convince men that unless they like this product they don't live up to this abstract goal of "perfection" that cannot be obtained.

As far as the hairless thing goes it's the same thing. How can a company like Gillette make more money? Convince men that women like them more when they have clean face and chest.

Personally, I'd rather spend my time bettering myself mentally or physically than worrying about if other people thing I'm "manly" or not.

The idea of manly is just something that ad agencies sell.

The wanting of hair on your chest is the same selling for different products. Often you hear of things that put hair on your chest usually they're strong drinks or maybe hot sauces or something. It's all advertising to convince men that unless they like this product they don't live up to this abstract goal of "perfection" that cannot be obtained.

As far as the hairless thing goes it's the same thing. How can a company like Gillette make more money? Convince men that women like them more when they have clean face and chest.

Personally, I'd rather spend my time bettering myself mentally or physically than worrying about if other people thing I'm "manly" or not.
where ever Chuck Norris is, he just started crying.

That's just wrong on multiple levels.

Last month, I won the hairy chest contest on our Caribbean cruise, how's that for manly?

Though I agree that shavin the bean bag is just wrong, cruises are not very manly unless your geriatric.

To each there own I say, but personally I like my hairy hubby the way he is... Of course if a well shaved Matthew McConaughey presented himself, I wouldn't be criticizing nothing!!

Im 24 and its falling out of my head and coming out of my chest ears back and as...yea i wont go that far.

My girlfriend loves it though, and i never really get cold.

Do have people telling me to take off my sweater in the summer though...

Hairy ears, hairy back, hairy nose........patchy grey chest hair. It's part of aging and it sucks.

I heard on TV (must be gospel) that now a days, the girls like hairy chested men...as long as their backs are hairles...WTF? Too picky.

Last year I grew a beard and it was all dark brown, this year it mostly came in gray, like an old man,,tear tear.... If it's coming in gray or just balding, I'm shaving it off!!!
I don't think the hair growing out of the pits curling around the arms is a good look, so run the lawn mower through it and knock it back. I mean if you put your under-where on and their is hair sticking out, you have to knock that down.

I have darke blonde hair (what I have left) but my chest hair is thick and black, think of the group KISS with their shirts off........And my arm hair would make bigfoot look twice.......I'm some sort of freak of nature or something....

I tell ya one thing, when I was single, if women seemed to prefer a hairless guy to a manly one I would have gladly taken a weekly bath in a tub full of Nair. I would have worn a skirt and a pink halter top that said "Princess" on it if it was a conduit to single women.

Come to think of it.... if my wife asked me to nair I probably would.

To me, this way of think is the same as "a fats mans junk shrinks an inch for every extra 50 pounds"

As is, look at abs or pecks that are covered in hair and then not. The one without will prob be more defined.

That said, I have a 2" beard year round and grows like a beast. I have 1 curly q chest hair that constantly gets made fun of lol.

If god gave you hair why are you gunna just shave it off

Trim around your junk and it looks bigger....but then again, at my age nobody is looking or caring!

Latest posts

Back