When brewing a Saison, add cane sugar during boil or in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyT555

Reaction score
I am brewing a Saison and the recipe includes one pound of cane sugar. I am thinking that I would like to add the sugar in secondary. My reasoning is that it will help to dry out the saison more because I am going for a very dry saison. I have also heard that adding sugar later allows the yeast to focus on fermenting the more complex sugars before adding simple sugars that are more easily fermented.

Most people have recommended adding it to primary after three days or so. I was thinking I would rack to a secondary after two weeks in primary and add the sugar. Then I would leave it in secondary for 2-3 weeks after that. Anyone ever tried an approach similar to this for a Saison?

I usually add it toward the end of the boil. Saisons are not high gravity brews, and Saison yeasts really attenuate well. So getting it to dry out is no problem. Mash low and it will dry out.

I have added sugar after a few days of fermentation for big brews but. i really do not think it is necessary for a Saison.

Back