when boiling wort do you want to stir.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odawg82

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but I'm new to this. when boiling your wort is it okay to stir it or is it bad.

Sorry for the stupid question.

Fine, but not really necessary. The convection of boiling stirs pretty well for you.

You can, but there's really no reason to. I'll stir when adding hops or sugar or whatever, but otherwise, I let it boil and keep my spoon out of it.

Thanks for the input. I was just thinking of when I was stiring my 1st batch it was mixing up the settlement that sinks to the bottom of the pot.

When you add extract you'll want to stir long enough to incorporate it into the water. If you don't it will pool on the bottom and can scald or caramelize. Beyond that there isn't much risk once it gets going. I tend to stir the hell out of mine when using a big outdoor propane burner just because the surface of the kettle gets so hot.

Stirring is a simple operatiion. If something would get stuck to the bottom of the boil pot, and then scorch, a whole brew can be lost. Keeps the hops in the boiling wort also.

The hop sacks do tend to sink after they get saturated well. i like to stir my wort just enough to keep it moving on it's own. Keeps the extract from scalding on the bottom,even when thouroughly mixed,ime.

Latest posts

Back