When are bottle bombs no longer a concern?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ch1719

Reaction score
I bottled my beer 2 weeks ago and put the bottles in a plastic bin in case they exploded. I'd like to put them in cardboard boxes, but when is it safe to assume they no longer risk exploding?

What was your gravity when it was bottled, what was the target gravity, was is stable, and how much priming sugar did you use?

do you have any specific reason to be concerned about bottle bombs? did you over-prime, or use brett, or finish at a high gravity, etc?

bottle bombs are rare. if you primed normally a beer that is ready to be primed (i.e. fermentation complete), the risk of bottle bombs is very low.

BinghamtonEd said:
What was your gravity when it was bottled, what was the target gravity, was is stable, and how much priming sugar did you use?

It was 1.010, and the target was 1.010 - 1.014. I used the whole packet of priming sugar that came with my Brewers Best English Pale Ale kit, not sure how much that was.

You're probably fine. I believe they send the kits with the right amount of priming sugar (I did a Brewer's Best a while back, and I'm pretty sure it was). Your FG looks fine, and was probably stable. In the future, when you believe it is done fermenting, take a reading, and then wait a few days and take another. If your FG is in the range you expect and doesn't change between the two readings, you're good to prime and bottle.

Like sweetcell said, bottle bombs are usually the result of bottling before fermentation completes, over-priming, or infection.

Latest posts

Back