when add candi syrup in belgian quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would add it late (5 - 10 minute mark), maybe even 24 hrs after fermentation has started. Lots of Belgian yeast like staggered additions.

I added my candi syrup at 5 minutes left in the boil just to get it well dissolved, but you could go earlier or even later if you wanted. I bet you could even add it during primary fermentation if you want.

I would add it late (5 - 10 minute mark), maybe even 24 hrs after fermentation has started. Lots of Belgian yeast like staggered additions.

but if i add it 24 hours after ill be unable to mix it in?i will just sink to the bottom?

but if i add it 24 hours after ill be unable to mix it in?i will just sink to the bottom?

The yeast will have no problem getting to it regardless of how well mixed it it is - they're smart like that :D

I would add it whrn fermentation starts to alow down, after a few days. Dissolve/boil a pound in 1 or 2 pa pints of water, cool and then add. Make sure to account for this additional volume when filling the fermenter.

I would add it whrn fermentation starts to alow down, after a few days. Dissolve/boil a pound in 1 or 2 pa pints of water, cool and then add. Make sure to account for this additional volume when filling the fermenter.

do you mix when you add to fermenter?

do you mix when you add to fermenter?

No need to mix the yeast will be churning enough by then to mix the concentrate in themselves beyond the mixing of pouring it in. Just make sure you cool it enough to not shock the yeast.

hi,

im doing this :

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/5gal - belgian quad.pdf

theres no indication on when to add the syrup. wha would you do?

It's a technique thing. I have added it before the boil, and at flameout and there are many that add it part way through fermentation.

This is from Candisyrup.com:

"As a general rule we recommend stirring in syrups at 10 minutes prior to flame-out. Since syrups are added at a cooler temperature it is recommended to stir-in the syrups during the boil to avoid scorching.

If you have a direct element in the boil it is preferred to stir-in syrups at flame-out to avoid direct element contact."

It's a technique thing. I have added it before the boil, and at flameout and there are many that add it part way through fermentation.

This is from Candisyrup.com:

"As a general rule we recommend stirring in syrups at 10 minutes prior to flame-out. Since syrups are added at a cooler temperature it is recommended to stir-in the syrups during the boil to avoid scorching.

If you have a direct element in the boil it is preferred to stir-in syrups at flame-out to avoid direct element contact."
added at a cooler temperature....? its boiling?thats weird . Anyway ill add it when fermentation slow down, but i was just wondering if i didnt mix it up , how it can be disperse in all the worth.i know the yeast gonna eat up the sugar but are they gonna mix that candi syrup in all the worth?

I put half my mixture a few minutes before I add the finishing hops, then the other half goes into my primary just before I transfer the wort from the kettle. Splashing the hell out of the wort when transferring mixes it all together nicely... plus adds more oxygen! Yay!

I also sometimes wait to transfer the last half if I'm gonna use a secondary. Rack right on top of the sugar.

I also also sometimes don't melt it all into a syrup... just drop the rocks right into the wort.

I also also also sometimes forget about the sugar... so I end up eating it later. Tasty.

It's all about preference. I hope this helped...

added at a cooler temperature....? its boiling?thats weird . Anyway ill add it when fermentation slow down, but i was just wondering if i didnt mix it up , how it can be disperse in all the worth.i know the yeast gonna eat up the sugar but are they gonna mix that candi syrup in all the worth?

Don't mix, that risks aerating the wort. The yeast will mix it just fine.

I have added candi at late boil, as well as after the initial ferment frenzy. I think I prefer post-frenzy. I brew trippels and quads with 3787, which really likes to foam and escape the confines of the fermenter. Adding the candi syrup post-frenzy keeps things a bit more under control.

As previous posters have noted, the yeast will mix the syrup by themselves. If you want, you can replace the airlock and give the carboy a (gentle) swirl, but be prepared for the yeast to attempt an escape. Fermcap-S can be your friend in this situation.

hi,

im doing this :

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/5gal - belgian quad.pdf

theres no indication on when to add the syrup. wha would you do?

I know you didn't ask, but I just looked at your recipe. I suggest pitching 20 grams of yeast (two packets) of T-58 into a quad. I had several big belgians that pooped out until someone told me that I was under-pitching. A 2L starter also helps, if you're able. It revs up the yeast, making them more likely to survive a 10+% fermentation.

Mr. Malty has a yeast calculator - http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

HTH.

I have added candi at late boil, as well as after the initial ferment frenzy. I think I prefer post-frenzy. I brew trippels and quads with 3787, which really likes to foam and escape the confines of the fermenter. Adding the candi syrup post-frenzy keeps things a bit more under control.

As previous posters have noted, the yeast will mix the syrup by themselves. If you want, you can replace the airlock and give the carboy a (gentle) swirl, but be prepared for the yeast to attempt an escape. Fermcap-S can be your friend in this situation.

replace the airlock by a blow-off?

I know you didn't ask, but I just looked at your recipe. I suggest pitching 20 grams of yeast (two packets) of T-58 into a quad. I had several big belgians that pooped out until someone told me that I was under-pitching. A 2L starter also helps, if you're able. It revs up the yeast, making them more likely to survive a 10+% fermentation.

Mr. Malty has a yeast calculator - http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

HTH.

what happens if you over pitch?

replace the airlock by a blow-off?

Oh yeah. When there is that much sugar in solution, the yeast are on steroids.

I have variously used (at different times) two 6-gal fermenter buckets, a blowoff tube, and Fermcap-S. I think I like the Fermcap-S the most. The blowoff loses too much quad, and the dual fermenters are too much work.

Oh yeah. When there is that much sugar in solution, the yeast are on steroids.

I have variously used (at different times) two 6-gal fermenter buckets, a blowoff tube, and Fermcap-S. I think I like the Fermcap-S the most. The blowoff loses too much quad, and the dual fermenters are too much work.

even for a 5 gal batch in a 7 gal fermenter?

what happens if you over pitch?

There are several articles here and elsewhere that discuss over-pitching. Autolysis can be a problem with deep commercial fermenters. I have never had a problem with over-pitch. I consider it cheap insurance to prevent a stuck fermentation (which is a monumental PITA with big belgians.)

I currently have a 1.100 quad and pitched 366 billion as Mr. Malty (Jamil Z) recommends. My last measurement was 1.023 (10.3%) as I racked to secondary. Excellent cinnamon/clove with no yeast off-taste.

even for a 5 gal batch in a 7 gal fermenter?

I used a 7 gallon primary bucket for some 1.084 Tripel and WLP550. Huge krausen. Plugged the airlock, then blew the lid off. Had yeast all over the ceiling and walls. That was on day 4, after making the mistake of giving the yeast a swirl to encourage them.

That particular recipe had 2 pounds of cane sugar. It makes the yeast crazy. Maybe T-58 is better-behaved. I don't recall any fireworks when I've used it.

I used a 7 gallon primary bucket for some 1.084 Tripel and WLP550. Huge krausen. Plugged the airlock, then blew the lid off. Had yeast all over the ceiling and walls. That was on day 4, after making the mistake of giving the yeast a swirl to encourage them.

That particular recipe had 2 pounds of cane sugar. It makes the yeast crazy. Maybe T-58 is better-behaved. I don't recall any fireworks when I've used it.

550 is a beast. I have one going right; 1 gallon headspace, and fermcap, and I still lost a couple of pints thru the blow-off. This yeast just laughs at fermcap.

Latest posts

Back