'Wheat' yeast in a non- wheat ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambrozyne

Reaction score
I'm thinking about brewing a barley ale made with 2-row and munich malt and some hallertau hops and maybe some saaz and fermenting it with danstar munich yeast. Does anyone here have any experience with that? Will it turn out weird? I'm imagining a german ale of sorts. 'no style' is fine with me, gross isn't. For the why: I've grown a bit tired of wheat ales lately but I do still have munich yeast I want to use up. Where I live yeast is expensive. Any opinions or experiences to share out there?

I racked an oatmeal stout wort on a hefeweisen yeast cake thinking I would get some banana in my oatmeal kind of flavor.

Somehow I ended up with an infection that came across as lemonade like (lactobacilis?). I ended up calling it the HOSS (Hefe Oatmeal Stout Sour). After aging it for a year in bottles, it is drinkable again.

Anyways, figured I'd mention it in case you get some unexpected sourness too.

Back