Wheat Stout advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninoid

Reaction score
I plan brew Wheat Stout.
Do I have to put flaked oats in it or not?

I have the idea of changing the simplest recipe for Stout and half of pale malt replaced by wheat malt, and flaked barley with oats because I do not currently have barley.

I have the idea of changing the simplest recipe for Stout and half of pale malt replaced by wheat malt, and flaked barley with oats because I do not currently have barley.
Wouldn't go over 10%with oats as the head retention might start to suffer but otherwise this sounds solid.

Easiest and good stout I made was ten percent roast barley (alternatively chocolate malt, which I just not like that much personally) ten percent oats, ten percent medium crystal and rest pale. You can leave the crystal out if you want but I like it here. Fermented with safale 04.

I guess swapping half the pale or even more for wheat malt would work.

You could also use midnight wheat instead of the roast barley.

You'll need some husk material to be able to lauter, possibly even needed in a BIAB as well. Wheat has no husks and is notorious to become like glue (high level of protein and beta glucans), plugging up your mash. Flaked goods make it even worse. For that grain bill use a half to a whole pound of rice or oat hulls (do not mill them).

You may consider also doing a combined protein/beta glucanase rest for 15-20 minutes at 122F/50C. That helps a lot against the gluey nature. You'd still need some hulls though.

And stir well before lautering, that breaks up the gumminess too.

You'll need some husk material to be able to lauter, possibly even needed in a BIAB as well. Wheat has no husks and is notorious to become like glue (high level of protein and beta glucans), plugging up your mash. Flaked goods make it even worse. For that grain bill use a half to a whole pound of rice or oat hulls (do not mill them).

You may consider also doing a combined protein/beta glucanase rest for 15-20 minutes at 122F/50C. That helps a lot against the gluey nature. You'd still need some hulls though.

And stir well before lautering, that breaks up the gumminess too.

I brew Hefenweizen with half-half of pilsner and wheat (BIAB / No Sparge) and beer is great. I think that husk is needed only if use sparge.

Some of my next brew will be Rye With using this recipe.

Wouldn't go over 10%with oats as the head retention might start to suffer but otherwise this sounds solid.

Easiest and good stout I made was ten percent roast barley (alternatively chocolate malt, which I just not like that much personally) ten percent oats, ten percent medium crystal and rest pale. You can leave the crystal out if you want but I like it here. Fermented with safale 04.

I guess swapping half the pale or even more for wheat malt would work.

You could also use midnight wheat instead of the roast barley.

Roasted barley is basic ingredient for Stout and I personally like it, like you. I will use the US-05 because the S-04 is sensitive to temperatures higher than 20'C and in my apartment the temperatures are now up to 23'C throughout the day.
I still wonder if I use wheat, but I think it would be a good Stout with half wheat malt.

I use oat malt instead of flakes. I have a friend that gets a vegital twang from the flakes. Here's the bonus....1- they come with husks....2- they are self converting...3- you still get the mouth feel without the slickness...4- no veg flavor. I went to 36% on on a blonde ale and although a little much(next one at 20%) went down easy. I did this to see if it would keep a NEIPA cloudy longer because I omitted the beta glucan rest but it didn't seem to matter.

Roasted barley is basic ingredient for Stout and I personally like it, like you. I will use the US-05 because the S-04 is sensitive to temperatures higher than 20'C and in my apartment the temperatures are now up to 23'C throughout the day.
I still wonder if I use wheat, but I think it would be a good Stout with half wheat malt.

I haven't tried it myself but I agree, I think it's going to be a good stout! You could also try Nottingham, but if you do, mash high!

Latest posts

Back