Wheat porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcarter1227

Reaction score
So i got the idea to make a porter replacing some of the barley with white and flaked wheat.

heres what i got so far

4lbs white wheat
3lbs american 2 row
2lbs flaked wheat
8oz chocolate wheat malt
4oz black patent
8oz caramel 60

hops
37.3 ibu
.50 oz chinnook 60 min
.50 oz us fuggles 30 min
1 oz us fuggles 15 min

s-04 yeast

srm 27 brown to dark brown
abv 5.1%

Any suggestions? I really like the idea of doing a porter with the majority of the grain being wheat

Wheat porter is going to be very similar to a dunkelweizen... which I love! Might be a little overly hopped and technically too dark for the actual dunkelweizn style... but who cares? Any reason to do 2lbs flaked wheat instead of just doing more wheat malt? You're going to get ridiculous head [retention] on that with 2lbs flaked wheat...

Wheat porter is going to be very similar to a dunkelweizen... which I love! Might be a little overly hopped and technically too dark for the actual dunkelweizn style... but who cares? Any reason to do 2lbs flaked wheat instead of just doing more wheat malt? You're going to get ridiculous head [retention] on that with 2lbs flaked wheat...

yeah i added the flaked wheat for the head retention. You think I should drop it and just use wheat malt?

As for the hops I love Chinook/ Fuggles combination and I think that a porter should be malty but at the same time I enjoy a well hopped dark beer.

That's a TON of flaked wheat just for head retention. You should get perfectly fine head retention just from having 50%+ of your grain bill wheat malt, but you could keep maybe 2.5%-5% of the total grain bill as flaked wheat if you want to ensure that, beyond a shadow of a doubt, you'll have a nice frothy head on the beer :)

Back