Wheat Malt Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_E

Reaction score
I don't know much about wheat beers, because I really can't drink them (read: I hate how they taste), but I have seen several IPA recipes now that have wheat malt in them. Would a small amount (1/2 pound per 5 gal batch) give a wheat beer taste?

Thanks.

The flavor you find objectionable in wheat beers probably isn't the wheat, but the yeast that produces the banana/clove flavor characteristic of German hefe weizens. Wheat doesn’t have much of a flavor, you probably eat bread, pasta, etc… without issue.

I don't know much about wheat beers, because I really can't drink them (read: I hate how they taste), but I have seen several IPA recipes now that have wheat malt in them. Would a small amount (1/2 pound per 5 gal batch) give a wheat beer taste?

Thanks.

No flavor whatsoever from a 1/2 pound of wheat.

The flavor you find objectionable in wheat beers probably isn't the wheat, but the yeast that produces the banana/clove flavor characteristic of German hefe weizens. Wheat doesn’t have much of a flavor, you probably eat bread, pasta, etc… without issue.

Ok. That makes sense. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I don't know hat it is about them but it just tastes like horrible skunk beer. The first that comes to mind is franziskaner (sp?).

Thanks for the replies. Puts my mind at ease.

Back