Wheat IPA Recipe - Looking for the usual advice/approval

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KramE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I typically make clones or recipes I find here on HBT, so this is my first venture into custom land. I'm aiming for a wheat IPA that tastes like summer.... I know....off season. I'd like to make a beer on the fruity side. I love citra (I made a citra SMaSH for my wedding), but since I've already used it, and for a sense of adventure... here I am:

Briess White Wheat 6 lbs, 0 oz
Crisp Maris Otter 6 lbs, 0 oz
Biscuit 0 lbs, 8 oz
Warrior Pellets 1 oz @ 60 mins
Glacier Pellets 2 oz @ 10 mins
SAFBREW WB-06 1 ea

Please advise.

I'd include some flameout and dry hop additions. Also if you want the hops to shine you may want to go with a cleaner yeast like a chico strain or American wheat yeast.

Along with the good advice of above, I'd probably substitute the Maris Otter with regular 2 row. I use a lot of Maris, probably my favorite go to grain, but if you want the wheat to come through and be sharp, crisp, and pick up the hops, might want to forgo it. Then again, I've never used it in a Wit (which I brew a lot) and I could be completely off base....

Thank you so much! Would you stay with glacier for the late addition and dry hop?

Should I break up the amount of hops to do this, or add more hops to the bill?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Thank you so much! Would you stay with glacier for the late addition and dry hop?

Should I break up the amount of hops to do this, or add more hops to the bill?

I don't have any experience with Glacier but my understanding is it's more like an English hop. Pretty much all the commercial wheat IPA's I've had are hopped like American IPA's with citrusy or fruity hops, and I've used amarillo, cascade, and nelson with good results in hoppier wheats. So I guess it depends what you want. Typically yes, the schedule for this hybrid style would be similar to an AIPA, say a couple oz in the 15-5 min range, a couple oz at flameout, 2-3 oz dry hop.

Also I'm with norsk on the MO, although admit I too have never actually tried it. Still I'd go with domestic 2-row and it's cheaper anyway. Pilsner would be my next choice.
Good luck with it!

One final thing I should have clarified, I am kind of steering you toward what I assumed you were talking about which is an American wheat base ramped up and hopped like an IPA - think Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin. In contrast there is another style becoming popular and usually called white IPA's which are more of a high gravity Belgian wit that is hopped up often with American hops - Chainbreaker from Deschutes for example. I actually don't care as much for that second style, the hops seem to clash with the yeast IMO. But if you were wanting that style or expecting something like one of those commercial examples I would get a Belgian wit yeast. Either way, I wouldn't use the WB-06 as I think it's supposed to be more banana and phenolic like a German hefe.
:mug:

In terms of body and mouth feel, I really like Founders all day IPA over that of Lagunitas.

As for my wife, she isn't a fan of the esters... So good to know about the yeast.

I think it's safe to say that you are thinking of the same style of beer that I'd like to make.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Back