Wheat Beer with Fruit Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulleyman

Reaction score
I am getting ready to rack my American Wheat Ale on some fruit, only thing is I still have yet to decide what I am going to be using. Does anyone has suggestions for what to use or what to stay away from? Also anything else I should know procedure wise?

Tell us a little about your recipe - particularly specialty grain, ibus and hop schedule.

I like peaches or strawberries personally, but I'd let the recipe dictate the fruit choice.

The recipe is a kit and uses flaked wheat (1 pound), Pale malt (1 pound), cluster hops (1 oz) and liberty hops (1oz), Sachet yeast, and Wheat LME (6.6 pounds). The IBUs are 31-35 and it rounds out at about 6.5% abc.

I racked a wheat onto 60oz of cranberries. It turned out great - a little red with a bit of a sour bite from the cranberries.

My experience is that you're probably stating off with too much alcohol and a little too much bitterness to really make a beer that profiles fruit nicely.

You'll get additional alcohol from the fruit sugars. If I was in your shoes with this one, I'd go with a fruit that you could add as little as possible to get flavor, so you can keep the additional alcohol down. Maybe raspberries or cherries. I'd stay away from blueberries, strawberry, peaches, etc.

Im drinking a strawberry hefe Partial mash I brewed a few weeks ago. I used 5 lbs of strawberries in 23 L of beer.

Procedure wise, I reccomend you rinse them with sanitizer. Cut off the bad bits or leaves with a sanitized knife. Quarter the strawberries and rinse again in a colander with sanitizer. Drip dry for a minute or so and then throw in a freezer bag and freeze for a day or two.

Put the frozen fruit block into the beer after its primary fermentation has finished, and I left mine in for 7 days. The beer has a brilliant strawberry aroma, (plus banana from the yeast) and came out slightly peachy in color, a notch redder than the typical hefe. It tastes awesome and is the best beer I have made yet out of 40 or so batches.

Back