Wheat beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sokonmatsumua

Reaction score
I accidently got a munich wheat yeast instead of a German Alt or American Ale yeast as the recipe called for. So now that I have used a wheat yeast is it a wheat beer? It actually contains no wheat. Here is the recipe. What would this beer be classified as?

3.3 Lb Amber LME
3.3 Lb Light LME
0.5 Crystal 80L
0.5 lb Munich
0.5 Pale Malt
0.25 Chocolate malt
1 oz Hallertau
1 oz Hallertau
3lb roasted pumkin
tsp pumpkin spice.
The original recipe was a modified marzen that called for six weeks of fermentation. But with the wheat yeast it has visibly stopped fermenting after four days. How long should I ferment? I'm assuming six weeks is out of the question now right?

The fermentation is done when your gravity drops to the desired/planned level. You cant just go by time in days. Check your gravity and see where you sit.

With the addition of the pumpkin do you think the ending gravity will be higher?

Sorry, I can't answer that with any confidence. I've never jumped into the fruit/veggie world. Though I have had a pumkin beer that was pretty good.

I've read a few other posts on the forums, and could not find a decent answer on what it would do to the gravity-though others seem to attest it does improve the body nicely.

What's the gravity now?

Also, the recipe may have called for a fermentation time of 6 weeks because a true Marzen is a lager and they take much longer than ales. Now that you have an ale yeast, it will go much faster. BTW, what temp is it sitting at?

I took gravity a couple days ago and it said 1.020 which I assume was too high. I have it in a closet it doesn't have a temp strip but our area is pretty cold. I would say it sitting at at least 50 to 60 degrees.

Latest posts

Back