Wheat beer, new stuff, and a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmcclure

Reaction score
Good day of brewing. New things today included using a yeast starter, mash stabilizer, and whirlfloc. Efficiency came out at 85% so I'm pretty happy. The whirlfloc brought down a ton of sludge. I'm amazed at how much better it worked than plain moss.

image-477457082.jpg

Can anyone comment on my grind here? I've just left my crusher at the stock settings. I'm to inclined to change much since it seems to be working but any suggestions would be great

Thanks!

It is really hard to make out the definition of your crush due to the blurry photo. If you just scabbed a bit from the top of the crush, then I can understand why there is no flour in it. If not, then i would say tighten your gap, because you should definitely see some "flour" in your crush.

FWIW, here is a macro-photo of my crush, use this to compare, some people like their crush even finer than this, but I batch sparge with a 3/4" SS braid, and I dont want to get into a situation where my lauters are frequently stuck or slow.

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

Good taste Dann!
Thanks Schnitz, I did "scab" it. I think the bulk of it was very close to your photo. That helps

Cheers!

Back