Wheat and rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherBock

Reaction score
Anyone here ever try an IPA with a combination of rye and wheat in replacement of the 2 row? Like a 50/50 split. Results?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not hopped to IPA levels but you might want to take a look at recipes of Roggenbier for inspiration. They are german beers that made up of half barley malt and equal portions of wheat and rye malts.

Yeah. I've done a roggen before (50% rye, no wheat). I guess I'm not looking for inspiration so much as testimony from those who have made an IPA with rye/wheat for all or most of the base malt

Think I'm gonna do this. Marbled Rye IPA. I'll definitely be using some rice hulls. Does anyone think I need a beta-glucan or protein rest? I know todays malts are well modified, so the protein (122 degree) rest may not be needed. But what about the glucan?

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (alternate): 6.68%
IBU (tinseth): 60.8
SRM (morey): 10.78

FERMENTABLES:
5 lb - American - Rye (44.8%)
5 lb - American - White Wheat (44.8%)
0.5 lb - German - Caramel Wheat (4.5%)
0.166 lb - German - Chocolate Rye (1.5%)
0.5 lb - Cane Sugar (4.5%)

HOPS:
1.6 oz - Cascade, for 60 min, IBU: 41.49
2 oz - Fuggles, for 10 min, IBU: 12.03
2 oz - Fuggles, for 5 min, IBU: 7.28
2 oz - Cascade for 0 min

I'll be doing this with home-malted wheat and rye since I have so much of those particular grains, and I can get them very cheap (feed grains). Right now I have a 100% home-malted wheat blonde ale in primary. I'll do the same with just rye before I make the IPA. I'm interested to see how yours comes out, please keep us posted.

Oh and about the rests, I used to try and do the beta glucan rest, but instead I found out that rye mashes scorch very easily with heat applied (this may not be a problem with your system, I use induction). I would do an infusion of boiling water if I where to try again. But, I also found that a single infusion mash works just fine.

Latest posts

Back