Whats your starter wort recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstrawn

Reaction score
Im wanting to brew an AG starter wort and can it so it's ready to go whenever i am! I wanted to do this also to save money because im cheap. i know the OG is supposed to be about 1.035, right? would you recommend hop additions to preserve it or just do an all 2-row 1.035 wort?

You want 1040 for a general purpose starter. If you're making a starter from a yeast slant, you want to use 1020 for your first 50ml jump.

Just use straight 2 row, it has everything that the yeast need to thrive, mash low and long, give the enzymes as much time as possible to make the starches into the right kind of sugar. We use weak wort for starters as the high gravity wort exerts pressure on the cell walls that is not good for them. So mashing low means that every bit of sugar in the wort that is adding to that cell wall pressure differential is fermentable.

However if you are really cheap you can do what I do, save stuff from the dead space in your mash tun and boil kettle. I usually collect this and strain out as much sugar as I can from hot break and mess. This with usually feeds my batch of yeastises for my next brew. It adds a bit of time to your clean up on brew day but it makes use of every available bit of sugar in your grain.

Clem

1.035 is fine.

One thing I like to do is after I get boil volume out of the mash and sparge is to sparge more wort off into a separate kettle (a large saucepan is sufficient) and boil it down to 1.080 and then freeze it in small portions. When you need starter wort just add the same volume of water to a sauce pan and one of the frozen portions and bring to a quick boil. Cool and pitch. Boiling down to 1.080 means it takes up less freezer space but you could leave it at 1.040. Free starter wort.

If you are canning it with traditional canning techniques (mason jar in a hot water bath) then hops aren't necessary as you will be essentially pasteurizing the wort in the jar. Common practices 200 years ago preserved jams/jellies in jars for long terms storage successfully using that method; additionally I'm sure the sugar content of those jams/jellies was far greater than your wort.
I'd go with straight two row malt mashed at low temp (~149F). No need for specialty grains in a starter. That said, I always use extra light DME in my starters.

Latest posts

Back