What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
At my college, you had to pass the FE to graduate.

Our college did a once a week for 8 weeks review session on all the various topics on the test. But the best study I did was to take a practice 8-hour test, just so I'd know what it was like to sit for one that long.
Iowa State University graduate myself. Especially when it comes to Mechanical and Agricultural engineering, such a huge percentage of the graduates end up going to companies like John Deere or Caterpillar, where they will likely never have a need for professional certification. That was the case with my boss - graduated and went to work for a smaller agricultural equipment manufacturer. No reason or need for him to be licensed, so why take the test?

JAG, with engineering and science undergrad. I love the A-10. I have been awed by them since I was a kid. Always good to see and hear one downrange.

Looking for a new job, though. Family is tired of moving. I have to plan my brewing around moving as well so staying put for a while would be nice for me as well.

Iowa State University graduate myself. Especially when it comes to Mechanical and Agricultural engineering, such a huge percentage of the graduates end up going to companies like John Deere or Caterpillar, where they will likely never have a need for professional certification. That was the case with my boss - graduated and went to work for a smaller agricultural equipment manufacturer. No reason or need for him to be licensed, so why take the test?

Back in the late 80s, the Univ of Utah Dept of Civil Eng almost lost its accreditation. So in the 90s, the whole College of Eng got strict about meeting academic and ABET requirements. One of the things ABET looks at is post-graduation outcomes. To ensure good outcomes for students, they required everyone to take the FE.

I looked up the current requirements for some of the colleges. ME still requires passing it. ChemE requires passing the morning. CE requires taking it 3 times before someone can apply for a waiver of the requirement.

CE requires taking it 3 times before someone can apply for a waiver of the requirement.

This makes sense for civil. But man, the thought of taking that 8 hour test 3 times... oof. I'd need a lot of homebrew after that.

I fix engineering's screw ups! :smack:

Tomorrow will be my 32 year anniversary at the Big Beer Factory as a Machinist. If it filters, refrigerates, produces or packages beer, I've worked on it!:mug:

Have an undergrad in Agricultural Systems Management from Penn State, so a non engineer here. Currently a T-6 IP for the Air Force and started out in ME so I have a little bit of background.

My background is mechanical engineering. I work with a lot of engineers and scientists of all different types, and at least a third of them actively homebrew.

Does having to re-engineer parts that engineers designed make me an engineer? If not, I'm just the shmuck that has to figure out how the hell we can make something work that "worked perfectly" on the computer screen.

Combat Engineer in the Marine Corps 04-08. Now a plumbing systems engineer and always having to re-engineer parts to make them work correctly.

Does having to re-engineer parts that engineers designed make me an engineer? If not, I'm just the shmuck that has to figure out how the hell we can make something work that "worked perfectly" on the computer screen.

Lol. I probably wouldn't have a job if everything worked as designed.

Non engineer, but I do have extensive education in the physics of flight. I hold an MBA in aviation management, and work in business/commercial aviation. Beer and airplanes, doesn't get much better than those days I can indulge in both.

Not an engineer by training, but I spent some time as a process engineer for a gummy vitamin company and loved it. Favorite job. It sometimes makes me wish I had studied ChemE instead of biochemistry. But then again, I've put that biochemistry to good use too.

Non-Engineer. I just realized how old this thread is! I was wondering if a more relevant question would be how many of us have a science background? I may not be an engineer, but I'll be finished a Biology degree in a week, which means I have a solid background in Biology and Organic Chemistry. Also, just shy of 8 years as a paramedic. I think brewing gives those of us with a science background an outlet for our inner nerd.

Non-Engineer. AS Degree in Emergency Medical Services - Paramedic. 25 years in healthcare. Grew up on cattle and poultry farm. Three decades of woodworking. Love to cook, hunt, scuba dive. Not a huge drinker, no reason to even spend money on brewing equipment, but the process and science doing it is fascinating.

Non-engineer, here.....got into homebrewing in, oh....early'90's-ish, I guess...at that time I was a baker (bakers make a lot of "dough" but not a lot of money ;) ) Got out of it for some years when we moved south, getting back into it (concentrating more on meads, less on beer this go 'round) Am now a nurse, so, no...no engineering here

Non-engineer. I'm a photographer and a full-time student. History major. I've always enjoyed science but give me a textbook on American history over a chem or bio book any day, ever.

I'll be an ISU graduate in 2 weeks.

BS Construction Engineering and an MS Structural Engineering in another couple years.

I operate the production side of a distillery everyday Vet fun job ..

image-2649353301.jpg

Aeronautical Engineering major was useless at the end of Viet Nam when the whole industry laid off 70% of their employees. But the fire service did me well and a retired Battalion Chief and now time to brew.

It's been my experience, on various interweb forums, that everyone is an engineer, lol!

I'm the type of engineer without the degree..... a field engineer.... I'm the one who has to sometimes reengineer the electromechanical equipment I install and service so it actually does what the customers want and sometimes so it just does what it supposed to do :)

Non-engineer.............7 years U.S. Army Airborne and last 15 years working in a black and white for the Highway Patrol.

Back