What's your next brew? Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saturday I will try to clone Knee Deep Brewing's Breaking Bud APA. I had it in NYC over the New Year's weekend and was blown away. They provided a few clues on their website and a few more in response to an email, so I hope I will at least wind up in the right ZIP Code.

I'm finally going to brew again after several month not brewing due to a busy work schedule, and insanely busy holiday season, some extremely cold weather and a gout diagnosis. (Which is very bad if you love craft beer!) I've spent the last month trying to figure out what triggers a flare up, and think I have it narrowed down to a few of things, none of which are beer. Gone are 99% of the meat I used to eat and one supplement I was taking to raise my HDL level, in are regular trips to the gym and losing weight. So back to brewing and drinking beer! (Although I will be giving away more than I'm drinking. All things in moderation, I guess.) My plan is to take advantage of the 30 degrees F forecast for this coming Saturday to brew a Bourbon Barrel Porter kit I received as a Christmas gift. It will officially mark my second anniversary of home brewing...

I'm finally going to brew again after several month not brewing due to a busy work schedule, and insanely busy holiday season, some extremely cold weather and a gout diagnosis. (Which is very bad if you love craft beer!) I've spent the last month trying to figure out what triggers a flare up, and think I have it narrowed down to a few of things, none of which are beer. Gone are 99% of the meat I used to eat and one supplement I was taking to raise my HDL level, in are regular trips to the gym and losing weight. So back to brewing and drinking beer! (Although I will be giving away more than I'm drinking. All things in moderation, I guess.) My plan is to take advantage of the 30 degrees F forecast for this coming Saturday to brew a Bourbon Barrel Porter kit I received as a Christmas gift. It will officially mark my second anniversary of home brewing...

Glad to hear you figured out what was causing the issues and addressing them! That's awesome and good for you!!! Although it is hard to give up some of the things you like, but like you said its all in moderation.

I think you may make more friends now that you will be giving away more home brew! ;-) LOL If you ever want to ship some to NY, just let me know. :) HAHA

Congrats on your second anniversary too! :mug:

Just brewed a Hefeweizen today and it will be my next brew since most of my wheat malt was not cracked at the lhbs (arrrrgh!!). I was wondering why I was roughly 50% off of the target OG. So I added a # of sugar dissolved with 12oz molasses. Not really caring about this beer much more although I will sample a pint or two. So should I suck it up and admit I should have asked for the wheat to be cracked separately or make
A fuss and get that next batch of wheat for free ? I mean, if you ask for well done and you get medium rare you send it back right ?

Brewing some Pliney Saturday with my brother... Why? Because I asked him what he wanted to brew (Ive got 3 kegs on tap and one on stand by) what he wanted to brew, and he said Pliney. Ergo, I am brewing Pliney :D

I have a rye amber ale in fermentation now. Which leads me to a question - I have come across, unexpectedly, a package of Carolina Reaper hot peppers. I do not want to add them to the entire 5 gallon batch, but I do want to test the potency of this pepper... so I am going to rack a gallon into another fermentor for a week before bottling, but how much of this pepper should I add? I was thinking a half of a pepper for the whole half gallon would suffice, but since I haven't peppered a beer before, I am completely clueless on how much to include.

I used 2 ghost chilies in a 5 gallon batch of IIPA @ 10 minutes left in the boil. Heat & pepper flavor were just right. Not all the heat soaks into the beer as when eating the pepper.

I have a rye amber ale in fermentation now. Which leads me to a question - I have come across, unexpectedly, a package of Carolina Reaper hot peppers. I do not want to add them to the entire 5 gallon batch, but I do want to test the potency of this pepper... so I am going to rack a gallon into another fermentor for a week before bottling, but how much of this pepper should I add? I was thinking a half of a pepper for the whole half gallon would suffice, but since I haven't peppered a beer before, I am completely clueless on how much to include.

If you're going to go with a Reaper, go for broke. A few years ago I did 5 gallons split 5 ways

Each in one gallon:
  • 3 Jalapenos
  • 3 Serranos
  • 1 Habanero
  • 1 Bhut Jolokia/Ghost Pepper
  • 1 Jalapeno, 1 Serrano, 1 Habanero, 1 Bhut/Ghost

The one with all 4 peppers was overkill (if you've had Ghost Face Killah, it was substantially hotter than that), but the one with the whole Bhut plenty hot, but manageable enough that most people could stomach it. The one with all 4, only serious pepper heads could take it.

So point is, I think if you go with one pepper per gallon, you'll probably be in good shape.

As for me, three batches in the fermenter over the blizzard weekend. I'll racking these into casks and then repitching from them (the Pale Mild most likely) into another three in a couple weeks.

• Wheat Dark Mild
  • WGV Bitter
  • Wheat English IPA

Ummm... I believe the Carolina reaper is the hottest pepper in the world. Even half might be too much

Yes, it is. 2.2M SHU, which is over double the power of the ghost pepper 1.04M SHU.

I used 2 ghost chilies in a 5 gallon batch of IIPA @ 10 minutes left in the boil. Heat & pepper flavor were just right. Not all the heat soaks into the beer as when eating the pepper.

Good point. Difference in the SHU will be a good test, I think, and also, seeing what the difference between secondary addition and boil addition bring out. Would I be right in thinking that a boil addition would extract more of the heat character than just a secondary addition?

Yes, it is. 2.2M SHU, which is over double the power of the ghost pepper 1.04M SHU.

Good point. Difference in the SHU will be a good test, I think, and also, seeing what the difference between secondary addition and boil addition bring out. Would I be right in thinking that a boil addition would extract more of the heat character than just a secondary addition?

Actually it's about 1.5 million with a very tight spread (unlike the Ghost which has a very wide spread). As far as I'm aware, the 2.2m scoville was still held by a single Trinidad Scorpion, but wasn't certified as such to be the "official" record, and that still has an average below the Reaper.

Also, I was given a grow-your-own kit for Trinidad Scorpion peppers for XMas. Assuming they grow (skeptical), I look forward to brewing with them :rockin:

If you're going to go with a Reaper, go for broke. A few years ago I did 5 gallons split 5 ways

Each in one gallon:
  • 3 Jalapenos
  • 3 Serranos
  • 1 Habanero
  • 1 Bhut Jolokia/Ghost Pepper
  • 1 Jalapeno, 1 Serrano, 1 Habanero, 1 Bhut/Ghost

The one with all 4 peppers was overkill (if you've had Ghost Face Killah, it was substantially hotter than that), but the one with the whole Bhut plenty hot, but manageable enough that most people could stomach it. The one with all 4, only serious pepper heads could take it.

So point is, I think if you go with one pepper per gallon, you'll probably be in good shape.

As for me, three batches in the fermenter over the blizzard weekend. I'll racking these into casks and then repitching from them (the Pale Mild most likely) into another three in a couple weeks.

• Wheat Dark Mild
  • WGV Bitter
  • Wheat English IPA

Great information. I'll probably use 2 separate gallons then, one with a half and one with a whole. Future beers will depend on this research!!! :cross:

Also, I was given a grow-your-own kit for Trinidad Scorpion peppers for XMas. Assuming they grow (skeptical), I look forward to brewing with them :rockin:
Nice! You may need some to be able to melt your way back to your car sometime soon! :cool:

Doing a 10gal batch of kolsch this weekend to get my spring pipeline going.

My kolsch is just finishing the D-rest in my fermentation chamber. Can't wait to taste it.

Next up is probably going to be an Oktoberfest/Marzen for September (I've invited some German friends to visit England for Oktoberfest. No pressure!)

RIS because I keep putting it off.

But will probably brew something else.

I also dry hopped with 2 more chilies & I think the boil brings out more heat.

Now that I have 10+ batches under my belt, 5 of which are all grain, I've been wanting to learn more about malts and hops and decided I'm trying a SMASH beer next. I'm going for a pale ale using Maris Otter which I've never tried and Crystal hops. I plan to use the White Labs California Ale V WLP051 yeast or possibly plain old WLP001.

Next batch will be Orfy's Hobgoblin clone (not sure which version yet). The plan is to rack right onto the yeast cake (Nottingham) of the Centennial Blonde I currently have in the fermenter. Then I will rack a Foreign Export Stout on top of the yeast cake of the Hobgoblin clone. No washing yeast or cleaning re-sanitising the fermenter.

That's the plan for now. Of course the whole she-bang hangs on being able to brew the follow-up batch at most one day after the preceding batch is bottled.

I am planning my first large beer without partial mash, 1.100 Belgian Dark Strong Ale.

Why? I caught a deal on an 11 gallon kettle with a mash tun so I can do greater than 12lbs of grain comfortably, figure with this I'll try First time 16lb grain bill.

Presently, a German Light Lime Ale. Calling it "Limeoretical". Next, a traditional Eng. Nut Brown. It was my very first brew (extract) and a hit with the fam, so I'm doing it again AG.

Got the AG porter in the fermenter, time to start thinking about what I still need to order for the PM mumme' to get that going.

hehe...just freeing up a fermenter now...may do a Scottish wee heavy soon...
I watched an episode of this TV show "Brew Dogs"...kind of cheesy, but a guilty pleasure nonetheless..
I've read bad things about using peat smoked malt, but I've always wanted to try it and maybe a slight touch of oak and bourbon...need to think it out.

next up will be a maibock, the cellar is perfect temperature for making lagers at the moment(with some help from my heating bucket/aquariumheater), so making a bunch of lagers in series.

I'm going for a basic solid pale ale as an introductory lesson for a friend. But being me I might want to upgrade it!! Any ideas on unusual adjuncts to work with

A rye DIPA. Because my wife asked for it, and if she's going to support my hobby, I can at least take a request here and there. :fro:

As soon as I get done with the winter warmer, I am going ham on my first all-AG batch. I decided to say the hell with making a sorta-SMaSH with those experimental hops, and am making IPAs with them instead. First up, and next, will be mostly 2-row but with a pound of Munich and a half-pound of sugar. Now that I have two of my little fermentors, I can get things going & make lots of different recipes.

So I finally bottled my Reaper pepper beer... had 5 gallons of a rye amber ale, 1 gallon of it got a full pepper, another gallon got a 1/2 a pepper.

Beer has some pretty good flavor being flat, so I'm looking forward to the carbonation. But man o'live, that full reaper spice hits very quickly and strongly, but doesn't over power the malts. So at the moment, I am very pleased. Really looking forward to a carbonated bottle of this beer!

I think I will make a raspberry blonde ale. I had one at Barrio in Tucson and loved it. I really like all different kinds of beer, but would like to be able to make something that is done a little quicker and anyone can drink. I have named all my batches so far except for my very first batch. I have enjoyed naming my beers something sexy/dirty so this one will be Clean Shaved Raspberry Blonde.

I have 3 all grains on deck because Northern Brewer $20 kits and I am taking the all grain dive:

1. Dead Ringer IPA
2. Kama Citra IPA
3. Chinook IPA

Currently on tap:
Pliny Clone
Blind Pig Clone
Firestone DBA Clone

Azacca Blonde. I haven't tried these hops yet. I am thinking a light dry beer to let the hops come forward. Also looking ahead to when the weather warms up and I need a lawnmower beers carbed up and ready to go.

I have 3 all grains on deck because Northern Brewer $20 kits and I am taking the all grain dive:

1. Dead Ringer IPA
2. Kama Citra IPA
3. Chinook IPA

Currently on tap:
Pliny Clone
Blind Pig Clone
Firestone DBA Clone

I took advantage of that deal too. Mine are Caribou Slobber, Black IPA and Cream ale. I'll probably do those I that order, with my brother helping me on the slobber brew.

I made a poor pale ale and it sucks! So I am going to try the bee cave pale ale, I am tired of my blonde also.:mug:

Latest posts

Back